Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Delightful 20 Miles

Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010:

What a difference the weather makes. A breezy 55 degrees this morning as Luke and I started the 20-mile run, 64 when I finished. We took the dewy grass trails in the park, and I walked up many of the hills (it's MOSTLY hills), trying not to get injured or to beat myself up too much. Luke, bless his heart, is very good at matching my pace even though he would normally be a couple of minutes per mile faster.

Luke bailed at 11 miles, because he is doing another 12-miler tomorrow, at his pace. Up to that point the average was 11:14, though I forgot to stop my watch for a porta-potty break so it was probably just under 11. I slowed down somewhat after Luke left, finishing the 19.86 miles in 3:49, for an overall average pace of 11:32. That pace and time are fine for a wet, grassy, hilly trail run, and I feel great!

The right knee gave me a couple of scares - almost locking up twice. But it smoothed out right away - no problem. That has happened before. The right ankle, my only real worry, was silent throughout. Yay! I twisted the left foot on a rock in the first mile, but it didn't complain during the run. I hope it doesn't tomorrow. Calves pretended to threaten to cramp at about mile 16, but they responded to the salt (five or six packets during the run) and settled down. I took four Clif Shot Gels along the way too - they do give me an energy boost. Lots of water - I had stashed bottles of water along the trails and drank about 55 ounces enroute.

The park is beautiful. Much of it is native grassland, and it is a goldenrod garden right now, acres and acres. Not great for hayfever sufferers, but spectacular in the sunshine.

I followed the railroad tracks for a mile going to the park, and another mile returning. On both legs a train went by. I love trains, especially as they thunder by up close, and one of the engineers tooted for me. Another highlight of a beautiful run.

Hints of fall today - makes you want to go out and lube up the snow blower :-)

Monday, Aug 23, 2010:

We needed to run today, and for various reasons couldn't run in the morning, so we went to the park for a shady run in the evening. Shade helped, but not enough - 88 degrees with a dewpoint in the mid 60's - ugh. The grass trails were dry, of course, because it was evening, but I ran on specific paved trails where there is actually more shade. Fifteen minutes out and fifteen back, probably about three miles total. No pains or problems, except the chronic right ankle, which doesn't hurt until after the run is over. It's not bad right now, but I do have a lot of lawn that needs mowing.

I'm looking forward to Wednesday, when the weather is supposed to be a LOT better for running.

Saturday, Aug 21, 2010:

The St Croix Valley Runners meet every Saturday, 7:00 am, at Northland Tennis Courts in Stillwater. Today's fog cut visibility a lot, and I proposed that we run "Wayne's Route" in place of the normal route, so that we could avoid running on busy highways. The runners agreed, though one runner is reported to have said "sacrilege!" I ended up running alone much of the way, between slower and faster groups, and finished the almost-5 miles in 44:44, OK for such a sweaty morning. This route is hillier than the usual one too. It's good.

Wednesday, Aug 18, 2010:

The Tartan Terrible 4-Mile Race is actually a bit over four miles, probably 4.3. This is a fun little 2-loop steeplechase race over hill and dale, on pavement, grass and weeds, and, some years, even through water. This year the water hazard was dry, but everything else was there. I had a good, enjoyable race but not a great one, walking up hills and running the rest. I did have a strong finish, so no doubt I could have kept it up. No pains or strains. The right ankle still bothers a little, but didn’t get any worse.

Loop splits: 21:29, 21:08, total 42:37, pace 9:55.

Tuesday, Aug 17, 2010:

We three found ourselves in Woodbury this morning, and just decided to run here and there on that city’s wonderful paved trails. I ran around a couple of lakes, Markgrafs and Powers, then into a new neighborhood where I got lost, and then found again. I don’t really know how far I ran, but it took a total of 60 minutes and I’m saying it was six miles. Nice run, no pains other than the right ankle.

Vegetarian bean & corn dish under the fruit, veggies, & blue corn chips. Mostly organic, of course.

No comments: