Sunday, August 24, 2008

Rochester Half Marathon

Saturday, Aug 23, 2008:

I’ve never run the Rochester Half Marathon before , even though it’s a Minnesota Grand Prix race. It’s a pretty nice race, with a much better course than either Mora or New Prague, because a lot of the race is on shaded bike trails. Today was about as good as it gets in August, 61 degrees with a cooling west wind and low humidity. My only complaint (if I were to complain) would be that I missed most of the mile markers. They are stuck to orange cones, there are a LOT of other orange cones on this course, and my attention span is modest at best while running.

But volunteers were super, organization seemed competent and experienced. We three stayed at the Holiday Inn Express overnight, after visiting Mayo Clinic the day before, and that was perfect. The start line was right at the hotel’s front door, so we literally used the bathroom in our room five minutes before the gun. And the race-special room rate was quite decent. To top it off, when we needed a late checkout they gave us an extra two hours.

I finished the race in 2:03:05, about ten minutes slower than I ran the New Prague half marathon in May and twenty minutes slower than my PR. I’ve been able to train harder for this one than for New Prague, though, so I think the the difference in time is entirely attributable to the medicines that I am taking for the myeloma. Pace: 9:23 here, 8:39 in New Prague, I did walk occasionally in both races. I was fifth of nine in my age group here, right in the middle. Best of all, I’m still alive and feeling well. Life is good - I’ll take it. Live one day at a time ... and you know the rest.

I raced in my new Brooks Ghost shoes, and they were fine. But there is a little foot-slap, so I still like my old Brooks Burns better. Sunshine recently found some leftover Burns for me on the internet, so I can postpone making a final decision for another 300 miles of running, at least two months.

After the race I had a beer and then went back to run in with my sweeties. It’s a masterpiece.

Thursday, Aug 21:

This morning I ran with friend Rich, who hadn’t run much since Grandma’s, so we took it very easy. Four miles in 44:50, for a pace of 11:13 or so. Some walking, especially up hills. I’m feeling tightness in the right hip flexors now when NOT running, but I didn’t feel anything during the run. I hope they’re not going to be a problem.

Forty miles this week, and planning forty more next week, which will be the last 40-mile week for a couple of months if our marathon plans work out as we hope. We have several marathons scheduled, and I don’t run 40 miles during a marathon taper or the week of a marathon. We’ll see.


Salad and dinner

Salad and dinner: Organic romaine lettuce, avocado, organic seedless grapes, free-range chicken, organic red wine vinegar.

5 comments:

peter said...

Nice HM, I enjoyed the pictures Sunshine took of the course, looks like a grear running venue. (Way to go collect your loved ones afterwards.)

crossn81 said...

Excellent job out there! Keep up the good work.

Gregg said...

thanks for putting my competitive mind in a reality check. I have been loving running more lately than ever and have a new perspective to each day. also, I know I don't comment on your blog much but I am a daily reader.
Thanks for the dinner ideas. My wife Kari and may be peppering you with questions and ideas in the future.

Anonymous said...

I was diagnosed with myeloma 3 months ago (June 2008). I am now on 21 day drug cycles with Revlimid, Dexthemethosone(sp)steroids,and a monthly IV of a bone health drug. I have been a runner for 20+ years, 2 marathons a year (ran Eugene Oregon and Bay State Marathons last year)training 30+ miles a week. I am 62. My doctors have told me running now is not a good thing for me to do, but after finding and reading your blog last week, I was inspired to try "jogging" and ran 3 miles today (30 mins) and 2 days ago (34 mins). No problems. Feel great mentally and physically. Especially mentally. I had been only walking (3 to 6 miles a day), but I'll continue to only run now. If something breaks, so be it. I'll deal with it. But thanks to you, I've just experienced my best day today and look forward to many more. I think if someone who has not been a runner gets myeloma, then maybe starting rehab with running may not be a good therapy. But if you've been running for many years, your muscular/skeletal/cardio system is established for the challenges and pleasures (and problems) of running. Also, when I had my bone marrow analysis, Dr. could not get through on first try because I had "the hardest bones he has encoutered in a 62 year old". Bones got hard because of the running. Look forward to your future blogs and will comment again. Thanks.

Don said...

You go Tony!!

My doctors have been uniformly supportive of the running, and in fact they say that it strengthens the bones. Naturopathic doctor says so too. I do several marathons a year, and asked my Mayo oncologist if that was too much, and she thought definitely not.

Your docs may see something in your bones to indicate caution, but you know about that and I guess you are prepared for the possible consequences.

But it sure does make you feel good! That's worth a lot. Makes me feel like I'm fighting back, too.

Thanks for your comment, Don