Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Good Runs

Tuesday, Aug 19:

Ten miles on my favorite dirt trail along the railroad tracks. No train came by today, sad to say, but the east-facing signal light was red when I left the tracks, so I suppose a train was coming along soon from the west. 70 degrees, nice cooling SE breeze. Just a good summer morning to run.

This was one of those days when I felt stronger at the end of the run than at the beginning. I really like that! I’d love to figure out how to have it that way on every run. Perhaps it’s just a natural benefit of the 40-mile weeks and 18- to 20-mile runs I’ve been able to put in recently, now that I’m running injury-free.

Splits: 9:28, 9:00, 9:33, 46:09 (5 mi), 9:25, 8:32, total 1:32:06, pace 9:13. Huh - that’s not a bad pace for the soft, rock-strewn trail. No pains at all - especially not the ankle ache that appeared yesterday on my day off from running. Stretches afterward, as I always intend but don’t always get done. Experience teaches that those stretches are very important to me in preventing future injury.

Sunday, Aug 17:

After 18 miles yesterday I just ran four today, on the shaded grass trails in the park, walking up most of the hills. There are lots of hills. I just ran for 20 minutes and then headed back for the car, though by a different route. 40 minutes is four miles in my book. No pains, no problems. Already 22 miles toward 40 for the week, life is good.


Breakfast   Breakfast: Gluten-free oatmeal, blueberries, plum (one), walnuts, dark chocolate, nonfat organic milk.
Salad: Organic romaine lettuce, Sunshine's homemade guacamole, organic blue-corn chips (from Target, of all places), organic apricot, jicama, organic red wine vinegar.   Salad
Salmon dinner   Dinner: Canned wild-caught Alaskan sockey salmon with jogurt, organic mixed vegetables, organic nectarine.

1 comment:

peter said...

You've had a busy few days of running! 18 miles, 20 miles, dog bite, run/walk. When I took all that time off in June & July my base went away. I went out Friday to run 14, simple enough, but suddenly in the eighth mile I was toast! My one GU pulled me through to MP 10 (1:27) and then I had to walk the 11th mile to be able to finish off 12-14. If I do a fall marathon, I'll have to find one late in Nov. or Dec. and work back up. But your base sounds great.