Sunday, August 03, 2008

Hennepin-Lake Classic 10k

Sunday, Aug 3:

The Hennepin-Lake Classic 10k is always a hot race, held in the first week of August. I almost dread it because of that, but it’s mostly flat and can be a PR course for some. For a year or two it was my PR course. Today’s race was 72 degrees, overcast, and breezy, about as comfortable as any Classic I’ve run. I ran slowly, but probably could have run a little faster because I was able to speed up in the last mile. Finished 4th of 9 in my age group though, good enough for now. Maybe someday I’ll get some speed back.

Splits: 8:52, 9:04, 8:56, 8:33, 9:06, 8:15, 1:33 (0.2 mi), finish time 54:18, pace 8:45. No pains of any kind. It’s a masterpiece!

Saturday, Aug 2:

I wanted to run easy today, and short, and so did George. While the real studs of the St Croix Valley Runners were finishing their five miles in 37+ minutes, we two loped along and did 3.4 miles in about 34 minutes for a pace of 10 minutes per mile. We actually ran four minutes and then walked one, repeating, so I’m a little surprised that we even went that fast. This morning’s temperature was cooler than it has been lately, in the high sixties, a welcome respite. Humid though - the fast runners were literally steaming when they finished. Slight soreness in my right hip - I don’t recognize it as anything I’ve felt before, and suspect it’s from sleeping badly on that hip. It’ll go away. The new Brooks Ghost shoes felt just fine.

Friday, Aug 1:

About six miles in the relative cool of the morning, running in the park with my two sweeties. We agreed to meet back in an hour, and I took the paved trails this time because, though I like running on grass, the grass trails were very wet with dew. 5.7 miles in 55:48, pace 9:47. I did walk up several hills to spare the hip flexors, at least that’s my excuse. No pains of any kind.


LunchLunch: Low-fat bison sausage with organic mustard, organic plum, Jim's cabbage with tomatoes, parmesan cheese.
Low-carb low-fat dex salad: Organic romaine with cucumber, pistachios, organic strawberries, organic red wine vinegar.Salad
DinnerHigh-protein low carb dex dinner: Wild-caught sockeye salmon, organic broccoli, parmesan cheese, organic strawberries.

1 comment:

crossn81 said...

Nice job at the Hennepin Classic. I think it could have been a PR course this year if it wasn't for the strong headwind in the last mile. Glad to see you were able to pick up the pace there!