Thursday, August 28, 2008

Galloway Method

Sort of. And by golly I think it works! Today I ran 20 miles using what I thought was the Galloway Method. I ran 9 minutes and then walked one minute, though after returning from the run and reading Jeff Galloway’s web site it appears that he would suggest a 4-to-1 ratio of running to walking at my pace, not 9-to-1. Nevertheless, the pace overall was 9:26, which is slightly better than the 20-mile run three weeks ago and darn near as good as the 9:23 pace for the Rochester Half Marathon last Saturday. Huh. I wonder if I’m slacking off a little in the races. The doctor reduced my dose of dexamethasone from 20 mg/wk to 12 - maybe that’s helping already after only one dose. Hope so.

Best of all, the pace for the last ten miles was actually a little better than for the first ten. I’m not getting fast, but the endurance is building. Almost ready for a marathon, and indeed this is the last 20-mile run before the first fall marathon.

I ran on the Gateway Trail again, very convenient for long runs, covering the distance between miles 8 and 18 twice, parking in the middle. Today’s weather was OK but not perfect for running. Temperature was fine at 63, but the humidity was 100% which makes running a bit harder. In fact, the trail was shrouded in a light fog, with mist, for the first 15 miles or so. I kept expecting the sun to break through, but the clouds, fog, and humidity won the battle until after the run was over. We did get almost three inches of badly-needed rain last night.

I wish I had asked some friends if they wanted to run with me, but I never got around to it until it was too late to ask. Should’ve called Randy and Tom anyway. My bad.

Splits: 9:47, 9:01, 10:05, 8:39, 8:29, 9:14, 10:36, 9:56, 9:54, 9:59, 9:47, 8:43, 9:14, 9:59, 8:51, 10:06, 9:42, 8:48, 8:52, 9:04, total 3:08:43, pace 9:26. Water every two miles, gels every four - mostly gels with caffeine, salt once. Breathing was four footfalls per full breath almost the whole way, except perhaps in the last mile or two when it went up to three footfalls per breath. 38 miles this week - not quite 40. Should I run the other two tomorrow? Nah. Leave well enough alone.

Monday, Aug 25:

Local roads, two miles, somewhat hilly. The idea was to keep the muscles in shape. I think this run did it. Pace 9:05, which is fine. Splits: 9:17, 8:52, total 18:09.


Breakfast   Breakfast: Gluten-free oatmeal, organic raisins and cranberries, organic grapes, organic plum, organic nectarine, macadamia nuts, organic fat free milk, organic pomegranate juice.
Salad: Organic romaine lettuce, Sunshine's organic guacamole, pecans, organic plum, mango, organic red wine vinegar.   Salad
Dinner   Dinner: Wild-caught Alaskan salmon with organic yogurt, organic peas, onions, two kinds of organic sweet potatoes.

No comments: