Sunday, September 23, 2007

MMRF Race for Research 5k

This is my race, a fundraiser for myeloma. I help with the course a little, by certifying it and assisting with directional signs and mile markers before the race. How appropriate that this should be the first pain-free race for me in months. I’m a happy runner!

Friend Jim ran very well, close to his best pace, but I was off my pace by more than a minute per mile. I’m out of shape, because the plantar fasciitis has made it so hard to run, and I wasn’t trying to push the pace. In fact when I did lengthen my stride to speed up near the finish, I felt a twinge and quickly returned to pace. But if this freedom from pain is a sign of things to come, I will relish the chance to train back up to racing form. Whoopee! Easy does it, fingers crossed, podiatrist appointment in eight days. Maybe I’ll have good things to tell him.

Carrie Tollefson, world-class middle-distance runner from Minnesota, has lost a grandmother to myeloma and was there supporting this race. She gave me a solid suggestion for the plantar fasciitis: Folske Clinic, a chiropractic clinic in Golden Valley. She asserted that Wade Folske brought an end to her own plantar fasciitis. I may eventually try that.
Carrie Tollefson Tollefson jogged with the regular runners at this race. Gliding past me with a word of encouragement but no apparent effort, she slowed ahead to run with a young boy for a hundred yards or so. Later I saw her stop to tie the shoelaces of an even-younger boy. After the run she signed posters and chatted with runners until well after the awards were finished. She is not only a good runner but a good person, an example to all of us. We're lucky that she represents Minnesota in global competition, and that she is supporting this race.

For more photos and information about the race, visit Sunshine's blog.


Today's breakfast
Organic oatmeal, organic skim milk, seedless grapes, organic nectarine, kiwi, banana, pistachios. Estimated Weight Watcher points = 7.

Typical salad
Organic romaine lettuce, hydroponic seedless cucumbers, organic peas, crushed blue-corn chips (for crunch and salt), raspberry vinegar.

Dinner
Grass-fed antibiotic-free bison, organic squash, organic sweet potatoes, onions, organic beans. We're eating mostly-vegetarian right now, not much bison; this photo is from a few weeks ago.

No comments: