Saturday, September 29, 2007

Where Did the Plantar Fasciitis Go?

Five miles with the St Croix Valley runners, my buddies, no plantar-fasciitis pain. Yay again! Since I’m out of shape and running on pavement (contrary to doctor’s orders) I ran slowly and finished last, with about a 9:18 pace. S’ok for now. This was the first run with the SCV runners in about two months; it’s so good to be with them again.

Also, this was the first run in my BRAND NEW custom orthotics. I now have TWO pairs of custom orthotics, because the second podiatrist didn’t like the ones that the first podiatrist made. The new ones are softer in the heel, and lighter, specifically made for running. More about that in the next blog; I am now a fan of the Brace Place at St Croix Orthopaedics in Stillwater, MN. I was a little concerned about the softer heel, because the cushioned-heel orthotics that I have made myself or bought at Walgreens have not helped much. But so far so good; I’ll use these for running from now on unless there is trouble.

Back to the headline: Why IS the plantar fasciitis going away? Here are some possibilities:

  • Two weeks ago, trail running, I felt pain on the side of the plantar-fasciitis heel rather than in the middle where it’s supposed to be. I was obliged to run two miles on that pain, because I had an appointment and time was short. It hurt a lot, but the pain died down in a couple of days and then disappeared. Perhaps I pulled something loose that allowed the foot to begin to heal more completely; or
  • At about the same time, we began to eat mostly-vegetarian. Could that promote healing? Hmmm. Or,
  • At about the same time we got serious about a gluten-free diet, along with the vegetarian diet. I have no knowledge that I am gluten-intolerant, none of the classic symptoms. I have the impression that the standard test would be skewed by the myeloma, but I do have a son who is gluten-intolerant. Can gluten interfere with healing? Or,
  • I’ve made more effort in the past few weeks to keep the heel warm day and night, to promote healing; or,
  • “Everyone” says that PF gets better eventually. It’s been five months, maybe it’s just time.
You be the judge.

Of course I do continue to wear the orthotics all day and the night brace all night, I do my stretches (sometimes), and I am not under the illusion that the PF is gone for good. I’m running a marathon soon, and that will likely bring it back. I hope not, but I'll run it or limp it anyway.


Breakfast
Breakfast: Organic oatmeal, organin nonfat milk, blueberries, banana, organic plum. Estimated Weight Watchers points = 4.

Lunch
Lunch: Gluten-free raisin bread, kiwi, organic sunflower butter, organic peanut butter, black currant preserves. Estimated Weight Watcher points = 8.

Salad
Salad: Organic romaine, organic peach, organic strawberries, organic walnuts, raspberry vinegar. Estimated Weight Watcher Points = 2.

Dinner
Dinner: Organic rice, organic salad beans, water chestnuts, organic sweet potatoes, local rutabaga, organic catsup.

2 comments:

Interplanet Janet said...

Yes - I went gluten free and immediately, the pain from Plantar Fascitis went away. I am now able to walk pain free and am convinced 100% that the gluten was causing the inflammation. :)

Rob Lovegreen said...

I had plantar fasciitis come on suddenly and I had it for months trying all recommended therapies. I stretched my legs and rolled my foot on a frozen water bottle and these things helped but I still had pain and inflammation in my heel. Then one day it just started going away. I realized that 5 days prior, I stopped eating gluten and on day 5 I had no pain. I searched Google and found that many have received healing from PF by going gluten free. I now have decided to stay 100 percent gluten free and hope that it helps with my other health conditions. Since I had such dramatic results with healing the PF, I expect to experience other great results over time. Check out the comments in this Facebook post. Blessings -Rob. https://m.facebook.com/OfficialWheatBelly/posts/639933496053211