Monday, July 23, 2007

County Park Permit

Yesterday’s bike ride was wonderful, energetic and very satisfying. After the Tour de France telecast was finished, I announced that I was going out for a bike ride. Sunshine suggested that we put all three bikes on the car and go to the Washington County park to ride there. Great idea, off we went. Though I have been in the park several times this year on foot and on the bike, this was the first visit by car, so we bought Washington County park stickers for both cars. Always a good investment - the parks are worthy of support.

We agreed to meet back at the cars in an hour, and I rode out of the park on a trail that I have not used in years, then explored the city to the west. Why have I never run or biked here before? Out to the county line, north to the railroad tracks, back on my favorite trail along the tracks, then an extra loop through the park and my hour was up.

Along the tracks a “train” of just three engines had stopped, diesels rumbling, with one man on the tracks checking a switch. As I rode by with a grin on my face, he waved and hollered “Have fun!” Further down I re-entered the park, on a dirt road, past a sign saying “Park Vehicles Only,” and past a police car stopped there, ready with engine idling. The officer waved as I rode past smiling and saluting. They don’t mind runners and bikers, as long as we behave ourselves.

This wasn’t as hilly as some recent rides, but it certainly was rough, especially the trail by the tracks, strewn with inch-sized rocks fallen down from the rail bed. Most of the ride was NOT in my hybrid bike’s highest gear. About 13.5 miles in 1:02. I’m quite pleased with my five-year-old $150 Eddie Bauer bicycle from Target; it took a lot of abuse.

And somehow I felt as if I had found a groove yesterday. I’ve learned a lot about the bike in past weeks: how and when to shift, how to maintain leg turnover, when to stand, when to sit, and how to use momentum. The ride felt very good, as if I could sustain this energy level for hours. I don’t WANT to like bike riding, because I’m a runner, but in truth I’m enjoying it more and more. The right “bike knee” hurt only slightly, even though I also rode hard just the day before. The knee is getting better. Life is good.

The plantar fasciitis doesn’t seem to change much. I can barely feel it, only once in a while, but am confident that it would reappear in full if I tried to run. Two months of “hammock therapy,” said the podiatrist, and I’ve only finished week three. Meanwhile I ride the bike.


Frannie is always hungry, even though she gets plenty to eat.
Did you say lunch?

Lunch for me, not Frannie:
Yummy lunch
Organic swiss chard, pistachios, organic raisins, organic red grape raisins, dried cranberies, leftover chicken/turkey hot dog, leftover lemon-grilled chicken, honeydew melon, organic nectarine. Estimated Weight Watcher points = 6.

Afternoon treat when I need calories:
Afternoon delight
Orange, organic apple, organic strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, organic fat-free yogurt, Dove dark chocolate. Estimated Weight Watcher points = 4. I take my time eating this treat, one little delight at a time, and eat the chocolate last, so that flavor is in my mouth for a while afterward.

Dessert:
Dessert
Organic red grapes, organic plum, honeydew melon, organic strawberries, blueberries, organic fat-free yogurt. Estimated Weight Watcher points = 4. Take your time and enjoy this piece by piece for a half hour.

No comments: