Saturday, May 19, 2007

Plantar Fasciitis

I tried running Thursday morning in the Stillwater Bubble, thinking that the softer man-made surface would be easier on the plantar fasciitis in my left foot, but the pain made it immediately obvious that I was doing more harm than good. I stopped and went home. Today was different; I ran the regular five-mile course with the St Croix Valley runners and the sore heel felt good until about mile three, after which it began to hurt and I found myself seeking grassy boulevards. Time was 45:00, for nine-minute miles overall.

The foot feels much better already though, just an hour after the run, so maybe I didn’t set it back too much. I need to stay off it so that the inflamed area will heal, and yet I need to run to maintain and improve my conditioning for Grandma’s Marathon. It’s an awkward balance at best, and I'm not doing it very well. Driving home, I saw two runners loping along the road, apparently pain-free, and I actually felt envy. Sigh. Well, this problem will have a good conclusion, sooner or later, one way or another.

Last night's dinner
Nitrite-free turkey/chicken bratwurst, quinoa with onions and spaghetti sauce, roasted rutabaga and asparagus, total of five Weight Watcher's points at MOST.

No comments: