Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Exercise Bicycle

The exercise bicycle at this hotel is ancient and mostly broken down, but I rode it today for 50 minutes, which might be about equivalent to 5 miles running. I forgot to pay attention to breathing, which is my best indicator, but I was sweating and it felt like hard work, so maybe it is equivalent. What’s especially nice about these machines is that you can read while exercising, which is hard to do in the pool. So I caught up on Myeloma Today and Running Times, stuff like that.

The foot with plantar fasciitis feels a LOT better today than yesterday, especially after the exercise bicycle. Hmmm.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Don,

my husband is preparing for his first marathon. I'm a mm patient, an Italian friend of Margaret. This is how I discovered your excellent websites.
I would like to know if you have found any food or nutritional supplement good to avoid cramps.

many thanks and good luck with everything. Your food pictures are really inspiring!
Anna

Don said...

Hi Anna,

Wonderful! I'm rooting for your husband. When is that marathon, and where?

As far as I know the key to avoiding cramps is water, salt, and training. Stretching AFTER running may help too. I get cramps if I don't take enough water along the way, or if it's a warm run and I don't take any salt. Also if I sit down right away after the long run; I need to walk about a bit, then stretch.

Good luck to you both!

Anonymous said...

super many thanks, Don. And good luck to you too!
Anna