Saturday, March 18, 2017

Lots of Runs

Friday, March 17, 2017:

Preview of Sunday's race in Phoenix.  Very warm.  I had intended to run/walk the full race course, but just walked with my sweeties instead, about 4.5 miles.  This was probably about the right thing to do two days before the hot race.

Wednesday, March 15:

Soccer dome today.  For some reason they had it warmed up nicely - the temperature in the pressurized dome is quite unpredictable, having little to do with the temperature outdoors and perhaps much more to do with the whims of the person in charge of the thermostat.  I heard that it was very cold in the dome yesterday, so maybe today was (over)compensation.  Because of the uncertainty I do wear layers, and down to one shirt I was almost comfortable, though shorts would have been better than the running pants that I had on.

I forgot my watch, so regulated the run/walk ratio by counting laps instead of time.  I'll probably do something similar in the upcoming 10k race, run 5 minutes of each mile instead of X minutes of each 10 minutes.  I've recently been running 4 ½ of each 10, so 5 is no stretch.  Also the weather promises to be hot, in the 70's or 80's by race time, so I may ramp down the speed and probably the run/walk ratio to be safe.  This Minnesota boy isn't used to the summer heat yet!  Still snow on the ground where we live.

8:59, 9:11, 9:24, 9:36, 9:49, 9:57, total 4.7 mi in 58 minutes, pace 12:20.

Monday, March 13:

Wonderful Run at the YMCA   A very nice track, 12 laps per mile, or so I believe.  They say 11, but 12 seems closer.  I am still running 10 minute walk/run intervals, six such intervals per outing.  Recently the run portion was 4 minutes per interval, but today I increased that to 4 ½ minutes.  Running almost half of the time, for 5 miles.  Today it felt great, and in fact I enjoyed increasing my speed a little in the last lap.

We are scheduled to do a 10k race soon, 6.2 miles.  I think I could run these same intervals for that distance with no problem.

Mile splits: 11:58, 11:52, 11:29, 11:30, 11:28, total 58:17, overall pace 11:40.  Approximately.

Friday, Mar 10:

YMCA, five miles running 4 minutes out of each 10.

March 3 through 8: 

Three more 5-mile walk/runs and one very hilly 10k walk to the co-op and back, carrying groceries in backpacks.  Improving weather; the 10k walk was outdoors, of course, as well as one of the walk/runs.

No comments: