Thursday, June 25, 2009

Recovery Run

First run after Grandma’s Marathon. 89 degrees with a dewpoint of 61. Plenty warm. For the fun of it I tried out a long-sleeved shirt by Under Armor, called a "heat gear" garment, a Christmas gift that’s suddenly become relevant in the past few weeks. It’s very tight-fitting, stretchy, thin, and made of technical fiber so it’s supposed to cool as well as skin does and offer sun protection as well. I only ran 2.5 miles in it today, but I think I’ll do my hot-weather running in a singlet instead, for two reasons: (1) I felt a little cooler when I took it off, and (2) the form-fitting aspect shows me exactly as I am. Hmmm.

The run went fine. I walked up a few of the hills, or parts of them, stuck to the shade where possible, and finished in 23:49, for a pace of 9:32. Faster than I thought I was going, especially with the walking. No pains, no problems. Feet are slightly numb here and there because of the medications, but that doesn’t cause any problems with walking or running yet.

Longer runs coming up. We’re thinking about running a 50k, my first-ever ultramarathon, in a few weeks. Maybe. If it’s too hot, I think I’ll pass.

Salad as dinner
Salad as dinner: Jim's wonderful lettuces (under there somewhere), no-nitrite ham, jicama, organic grapes, pineapple, organic cottage cheese, organic pecans, organic red wine vinegar.

No comments: