Saturday, May 17, 2008

Making Tracks for Celiacs

We’re eating like celiacs (gluten-free) these days, so we were interested in this race. Unlike many races, it was primarily an expo event with product booths and a walk, and by the way, a race. The purpose was to raise money for celiac disease research. We did see a lot of gluten-free products, including several that we hadn’t seen before.

My own race was slow but pain-free. Splits: 7:24, 7:56, and 8:39 (1.1 mi), total 24:00, pace 7:45. The race was not certified, so I have no idea how accurately it was measured.

I’m SO pleased that nothing hurt, except I have an appointment with a sports doctor on Monday and now I have nothing to tell him! I’ll probably go out for a nice long run Monday before the appointment and see what that brings on.


Gluten-free meals, as always:
Breakfast
Today's breakfast, eaten at lunch time because of the morning race: Irish oatmeal with organic flame raisins and dried cranberries, organic strawberries, organic walnuts, mango, blueberries, banana, organic pomegranate juice.

Dinner
Yesterday's evening meal: Organic romaine, organic fennel, cucumber, organic strawberries, pistachios, homemade guacamole, organic blue corn chips, organic red wine vinegar.

1 comment:

peter said...

Sounds like a nice little run. I'll bet you were way up front, as those funky little runs for good causes don't bring out the top runners. But they're fun! I did a little informal race like that once, for a nice cause, advertised as a 5K fun run, and I finished in 14:30! What a PR! I think it was closer to 3K than 5K. Then another time a local run for the schools race was advertised as "about 3 miles" and I later figured it was 4.6 miles! That was by far my PW (Personal Worst). I love it!