Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Taper, taper

Wednesday, April 30:

Four more taper miles, just a lovely run partly on my favorite dirt road along the railroad tracks. This is running at its most enjoyable. Splits: 9:05, 9:07, 8:55, 9:01, total 36:08 for 4 mi, pace 9:02. Faster than I thought I was going, actually. Breathing was mostly five footfalls per full breath, sometimes four.

Since I’m not really trained for a marathon right now, I suppose I’ll just go out and run a pace that feels easy, feels good. This pace felt easy today, even though it’s faster than I think I can run a whole marathon. Maybe I should just run this pace until it DOESN’T feel good, then struggle to the finish as best I can. Yeah, that’ll work.

Monday, April 28:

Recovering from the Get in Gear 10k, just putting on some miles at about marathon pace. Turned out I went a little fast, but not a lot. Splits: 9:22, 9:39, 9:58 (1.1 mi), 8:35, 9:20, total 46:55 for 5.1 mi, pace 9:12. No pains during the run. Thirty-six degrees, so tights and multiple layers up top.

Tuesday, though, I had another “trick hip” incident in the right hip. Sharp, stabbing pain where I think that a bursa should be, just below the hip joint. It started when I got up from my regular chair in the office, and it “stabbed” whenever I turned a little on that hip or sometimes just at random. Stairs were especially tricky. I had not been wearing shoes, and was wearing loose pants with no wallet in the pocket. I am without a clue as to what started it.

I was extremely careful for a couple of hours, and it got a lot better. By night it was just slightly sore but no more stabbing pain. By morning I could run with no trace of pain. I have to figure out what this is - this is the fifth event now. If it happens in a race, I'm sunk.



Breakfast
Tuesday's breakfast: Irish oatmeal with organic flame raisins and cranberries, mango, organic strawberries, blueberries, banana, organic pomegranate juice, organic nonfat milk. Sometimes when I finish, I leave just a little milk in the bowl for kitty to enjoy.

Lunch
Tuesday's lunch: Mixed organic rices under a yummy turkey curry, mango, orange, organic chard with dried cranberries and pistachios. Seconds please.

2 comments:

Kel said...

You have been tagged by Kel.
Rules:
1) Write your own six word memoir
2) Post it on your blog and include a visual illustration if you want
3) Link to the person that tagged you in your post, and to the original post if possible so we can track it as it travels across the blogosphere
4) Tag at least five more blogs with links
5) Leave a comment on the tagged blogs with an invitation to play

bypan6 said...

I just stumbled upon your blog, and I had to say, your meals look absolutely delicious! :)