Sunday, January 24, 2010

Three Runs

Sunday, Jan 24, 2009:

Norm and I just can’t seem to run together at the N St Paul Community Center. Today I got changed and up on the track just as he was starting his post-run stretches. We chatted for a moment and I started my four miles. Maybe we’ll have to actually agree to meet at a particular time, rather than leaving it to chance.

The laps didn’t come quite as easily as they did yesterday, perhaps because I ran hard yesterday! And because I was running on a fairly full stomach, which always works against speed. Only a slight comment from the sore right hamstrings, and I did my 70 standing hamstring curls afterward - that will help in the long run.

Splits: 9:10, 8:53, 9:01, 8:46, total 36:52, pace 8:58. It’ll do!

Saturday, Jan 23:

This was a very nice six-mile run at the N St Paul Community Center. The first mile is always slowest, and when that one came in below nine minutes I knew it would be a good run. And it was, finishing up at an 8:37 average pace.  Except for the last mile, I wasn’t pushing myself - this pace just felt good. I haven’t looked back, but it may be the fastest six-mile training run I’ve done in a while. I keep looking for signs that some speed is coming back, now that I’m off the DEX, and maybe ... :-)

Friend Norm showed up after my run was done, so unfortnately I didn’t get a chance to run and chat with him. A delightful young man, freshman at Century College, finished his nine miles just as I finished my six, however, and we chatted as we walked a few cool-down laps. He is training for Grandma’s Marathon, his first marathon, and running very well I’d say.

After this run I felt some twinges from an old injury in the right hamstrings. Just a dull ache, but it’s a warning. I’ve been slacking off on my standing hamstring curls, which seem to alleviate this problem if I do them regularly enough.

Splits: 8:58, 8:38, 8:33, 8:40, 8:43, 8:12, total 51:43, pace 8:37. Very good - I’ll take it! It’s a masterpiece.

Thursday, Jan 21

Five miles today in the Stillwter Bubble. Actually 50 minutes at a pace that I assume to be 10 minutes/mile or faster. Only one other runner today, a guy that I don’t know. I should probably meet him. He was going a bit slower, I think, though I never passed him. I change direction from clockwise to counter-clockwise every ten minutes or so, and so did he.

My sweeties were there too, watching the baseball guys, who have the field at 10:00 am, as they laid out a new diamond on the soccer fields., I don’t know why and didn’t ask. Was someone concerned that they were wearing out the turf at the other diamond? Anyway it was a good run, finishing a solid 30 miles for the week.


Leftover turkey with organic dijon mustard, organic pickled beets, corn bread, organic sweet potatoes, baked.  I probably put some salsa or hot sauce on the sweet potatoes after the photo was taken.


1 comment:

Amytrigirl (aka Amybee) said...

Great week of running and yummy, yummy looking meal.