Saturday, January 09, 2010

Building Mileage

Saturday, January 9, 2010:

North St Paul Community Center, six miles at 9 minutes/mile. Not a great run, not especially easy, but I felt tired today and was running on a fairly full stomach. It’ll do. 81 laps, boring as can be, except that it was “open house” day and there were visitors on the track who didn’t know exactly where to be so there was some dodging around people. To occupy my alleged mind I counted down the laps on my hands in American Sign Language.

I started to get serious about Weight Watchers last Tuesday, January 5, with the goal of losing 10 pounds to get back to my best running weight. This morning I was down one pound, but of course the first few are easy.

Splits: 9:16, 8:59, 9:00, 9:05, 9:06, 8:37, total 54:03, pace 9:01. Not bad for today. No pains, no problems.

Friday, January 8, 2010:

Another run in the Stillwater Bubble, not quite so cold this time. I did end up running in just shorts and two technical shirts. 40:14 at a pace of about 9:30 (I didn’t time it today), for a distance of about 4.2 miles.

That finishes the week at 26 miles, ramping up to 30 in another week or two. Can I run even more? I used to run 40 regularly, but in the last year or two I start getting niggling little injuries when the weekly distance exceeds 30 miles. Now that I’m off the DEX, though, it might be possible to get back to 35 or 40. We’ll see.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010:

Gosh it was COLD in the Stillwater Bubble today. Normally I run in shorts and two technical shirts, but today I kept on the outer pants and an extra shirt. I’m thinkin’ it was about 35 degrees in there, maybe 10 degrees lower than usual. Brrrr. My hands got cold, even with gloves. I left on my pants and an extra shirt. On the other hand, it was balmy by comparison with the outdoor temperature of minus 5.

55:34 minutes at a pace of about 9:30 (I didn’t measure it today) gives a distance of 5.8 or 5.9 miles. No pains, no problems. That’s 22 miles so far today, more tomorrow or Friday, trying to build mileage slowly and carefully.

Salad as dinner:


1 comment:

Ashley Lyle said...

Hi Don,
I just found your blog and wanted to let you know about an event we are having at Max Muscle (near Country Road and 35) in Lakeville this Saturday. Max Muscle sponsors a fitness challenge every year where people can join and compete for a $25,000 prize. The challenge website, www.mymaxmuscle.com offers a place where people can blog about their progress and interact with others. This Saturday from 10-5 we will have Toni Warrick, last year's contest winner, here to talk about her experience. We will also be having a huge customer appreciation sale. Let me know if you have any questions.

-Ashley Lyle