Saturday, June 14, 2008

Fun in the Forest 5k

Time 22:05. This little 5k in Forest Lake was my best 5k since September, 2006! If I were sure that it was really 5000 meters I’d be VERY pleased, but the course is not certified and I’m pretty sure that it’s short. One of the guys manning the finish said that it measured three hundredths of a mile short on his GPS, and I suspect that it’s actually at least a tenth of a mile short, just based on the times that the three of us ran. On the other hand it was flat as a pancake and straight as an arrow, out & back, thus an easy course, so maybe it’s not so short and we did better than I think.

Whatever, I’ll take it! Even if it were two tenths short, which I doubt, that would equate to an actual 5k of about 23:30, certainly the best I’ve done this year by more than a minute. It’s good, I’m happy, it’s a masterpiece! No pains, no complaints.

Temp 66 and sunny, it was plenty warm. We ran this race because one of us is associated with the organizer, and we all enjoyed it. Sometimes the little races are the most fun. This was the perfect run-up to a marathon.

Splits: 6:51, 7:05, 8:08 (pace 7:24), total 22:05, pace 7:07 overall. Now all I need to do is lose the extra five or six pounds that I’ve accumulated in the last few months and maybe I can run 22:05 on a REAL 5k course.


Today's breakfast
Today's post-race breakfast: Gluten-free oatmeal with organic flame raisins and dried cranberries, banana, blueberries, organic strawberries, mango, organic walnuts, Dove dark chocolate, organic pomegranate juice, nonfat organic milk.

Salad
Recent salad: Organic romaine lettuce, cucumber, organic grapes, papaya, organic strawberries, blue cheese.

Dinner
Recent dinner: Wild-caught Alaskan sockeye salmon, organic broccoli, organic sweet pickle relish, Rose's key lime marmelade.

1 comment:

peter said...

Pretty fast 5K, short or not! Straight and flat help anyway. I ran some 22 pluses last year for the first time in five years but haven't been back there since then.