Monday, April 14, 2008

Good Weekend

Sunday, Apr 13:

Today’s objective was just to lay down some miles to build base, of which I don’t have very much yet. We three went to the Gateway Trail. and I ran 10 miles at a pace of 8:44. I’m quite happy with that today. The best part is that I felt stronger as the miles passed. I did stop the watch briefly, twice to pee and take water, and once to say HI as I passed my sweeties, so those pauses might have given me a little extra zip.

No pains of any kind. Splits: 8:33, 8:30, 9:00, 8:37, 8:40, 9:28, 8:38, 8:51, 8:31, 8:28, total 1:27:17, pace 8:44. Temperature was 44 with a crosswind that seemed to always be a headwind! I can tell you that the Gateway is completely free of snow between miles 8 and 13, even for roller bladers. It was a good run.


Saturday, Apr 12:

Feels So Good. The plan for today’s run was to put in six miles, one way or another. I really did NOT want to run today, for some reason. But we three went to the North St Paul Community Center (bad weather outside) and ran on the gerbil track. To my surprise the first lap, which takes 40 seconds at a 9:00 pace, took only 38 seconds. Usually the first mile is slower than the rest, so I was encouraged. As I ran it just got better and better, finishing with a very nice last mile. Breathing was easy, five footfalls per full breath most of the way, dropping to four in mile 5 and three in the last mile.

This was a very nice run, and somewhat unexpected. No pains of any kind, not even going down the stairs after the run. Splits: 8:39, 8:35, 8:32, 8:32, 8:26, 8:07, total 50:50, pace 8:28. It’s a masterpiece!


Breakfast
Saturday's breakfast: Irish oatmeal with organic flame raisins and cranberries, mango, Don's nut/fruit/berry mix, organic strawberries, nonfat organic milk, banana, Dove dark chocolate, organic pomegranate juice.

Lunch
Saturday's lunch: Organic rice curry with organic beans and shredded parmesan, organic sweet potato with organic salsa, cantaloupe, organic cashews, organic beets. I had a good run a few hours after eating this.

Dinner
Friday night's Tex/Mex dinner: Organic bison and organic rice curry, organic teff rollup with melted cheese, homemade guacamole.

No comments: