Thursday, April 10, 2008

30-Mile Week

Doesn’t sound like much, but it’s the biggest week of running for me since January. Inching forward. Today’s run was six miles at a modest pace, designed to be gentle on the left achilles tendon that complained a little after Tuesday’s run. It worked - that tendon was a little stiff at the beginning of the run and fine afterward. No complaints going down the stairs - the acid test. Stretch, stretch, stretch. Splits: 9:01, 8:56, 8:57, 8:56, 8:57, 8:56, average pace 8:57.

My resting heart rate was 40 again this morning, compared with a normal of 46 to 50. It’s the medicine. I’ve alerted Mayo by email and will see my PCP doc this afternoon about other things, so I’ll bring it up with him too. But I’m not too concerned - the beat is steady and strong, and during the run it averaged about 132, which seems normal for that pace.

I’ve ordered my 18th pair of Brooks Burn shoes now, probably my last, as they are discontinued and supply is getting scarce. Brooks says their replacement is to be called the “Ghost,” available June 1. Same weight, for neutral runners, new technology. Do you suppose there’s a shipload of them on its way from China already?



Breakfast
Today's post-run breakfast: Irish oatmeal with organic flame raisins and cinnamon, blueberries, mango, Don's nut/fruit/berry mix, organic lowfat milk, banana, Dove dark chocolate, organic pomegranate juice.

Lunch
Today's lunch: Bison sausage, organic rutabaga, organic parsnip, homemade organic sauce, organic broccoli, shredded parmesan cheese.

Salad
Tonight's salad: Organic romaine, cucumber, organic pecans, blue cheese, avocado, pineapple, organic red wine vinegar.

1 comment:

peter said...

I hate the names Brooks assigns to their shoes, but I like their shoes. I mainly wear Asic Foundations (motion control) but branch out with Brooks Addiction. I ran the TCM in 2004 (wearing my John Kerry t-shirt, my only political statement ever while running) in Addictions.

30 miles for the week is light? For me I circle it on my greater calendar.