Saturday, March 22, 2008

Successful Run

No Pains! NSPCC track 8 miles in 1:10:36 for a pace of 8:50. Not too fast, but breathing was rapid because I had recently eaten. I tried to keep the breathing rate to four footfalls per full breath by reducing my pace, but after mile six I had to let it slip to three some of the time or let my pace drop well below (slower than) 9:00 minutes per mile. I think this is because my stomach was full of popcorn, which I had eaten not long before the run in an attempt to settle an already unsteady stomach. It did seem to help, but I won’t do it again because it made me run slower and I have a VERY unsettled stomach now after the run.

Last night’s dexamethasone may play a part here too, because upset stomach is the first-listed side effect of dex, stomach irritation the second, and vomiting the third! So far only upset stomach. Happily, I only take the dex once a week and tomorrow is likely to be better.

Why did that hip bursitis not appear today? Thursday the pain felt like an ice pick in the hip joint, then Friday morning it was much better and got better still all day, and today it was gone. Bizarre. If it goes away so easily, why does it appear at all? It’s really quite disabling when it does appear. If it happened in a marathon I’m afraid I might not even be able to walk to the finish. I’ve never been a DNF in any race, but that might do it. Need to google this ...

Splits: 8:50, 8:38, 8:50, 8:56, 8:53, 9:03, 8:53, 8:34.


Breakfast
Today's breakfast: Irish oatmeal with organic flame raisins, banana, Sunshine's teff bread with organic dates and nuts, clementine, organic walnuts, Don's nut/fruit/berry mix, organic nonfat milk.

Lunch
Recent lunch: Organic wild rice and brown rice pasta, homemade organic pasta sauce, parmesan cheese, stuffed olives, cantaloupe.

Dinner
Tex-mex dinner & salad: Organic romaine, cashews, organic blue corn chips, homemade parmesan garlic spread, corn bread with local honey, watermelon, homemade guacamole, organic red wine vinegar.

1 comment:

peter said...

Glad your hip pain went away for now at least.