Thursday, March 20, 2008

Ouch

Nuts. Seems like it’s always something! Earlier this month I had a short episode of very sharp pain in the right hip, right at the bursa. In fact it came on while I was walking the halls of Mayo Clinic of all places. That showed up again today, when I briefly slowed to walk a few feet up a steep hill. That’ll teach me to walk! It feels like an ice pick in the hip joint.

Today it came and went, I could even jog a little now and then, but pretty soon it would bring me up short, hopping on the other leg. So I walked (limped) the last three miles or so of an eight-mile run, after running a decent pace of 8:30 or so for the first five miles. Disappointing. And cold!

The good news is that if this pain behaves as it did a couple of weeks ago, it will be gone by Saturday morning. Just bursitis. I just wish I knew what brings it on. I tried some new stretches Tuesday - perhaps I will forego those for a while.


Breakfast
Today's breakfast: Irish oatmeal with organic flame raisins, organic walnuts, cantaloups, mango, blueberries, banana, papaya, Hershey's dark chocolate, organic nonfat milk.

Lunch
Today's lunch: Organic chard with dried cranberries and spicy cashews, organic vegetable mix (carrots, squash, sweet potato, onion), organic brown rice & wild rice pasta with homemade pasta sauce, oven-baked parsnips with organic catsup. Those are Thai lemon/pepper cashews from Trader Joes, and they are GOOD!

Salad & Dinner
Tonight's dinner & salad: Organic romaine lettuce with sliced cucumber, "natural" kosher turkey breast, organic cranberry jelly, macadamia nuts, blueberries, clementine, organic red wine vinegar.

1 comment:

peter said...

Ah, in running, we do what we can. 8:30s are nicem but if we got to walk awhile, that's okay. We're out there.