Thursday, August 30, 2007

Another 5k!

Thursday, Aug 30:

Another great 5k run, no plantar-fasciitis pain at all, time 25:32, pace 8:14. That’s not bad! I’m happy - today is a masterpiece.

Ran in my little-used Brooks Glycerines, which I bought in May because they were supposedly more cushioned than my usual Brooks Burns. There’s an annoying clack in the right shoe - I sure hope that goes away. Why just one shoe? Sounded like a big rock in the tread - I’d better check that shoe. Otherwise they were just fine.

After buying the Glycerines I realized that the added cushioning was NOT in the heel where I thought I wanted it, but I’ve since learned that cushioning in the heel may not be the best thing for plantar fasciitis anyway. It may feel good at the moment, but arch support is more important to proper healing, say some podiatrists. My podiatrist didn’t even look at my shoes - he said that he was confident I had found good shoes after so many years of running. I did wear the orthotics in the Glycerines today. I wear ‘em ALL the time.

No pain in the foot, but I did feel a pain in the right hamstrings. I’ve had pain there before, but this felt different. Just logging it now in case it becomes an issue. Today I ran through it, and I hope it will gradually go away as my training increases.

My podiatrist prescribed two months of “hammock therapy.” Meaning no running and not much of anything else either (fat chance). But then he described how I could start a couple of weeks early, if ever so carefully, and I have done that. Tomorrow the TWO MONTHS ARE UP! But the build-carefully plan is working so well that I’m going to continue it. I’d love to run the Victory 10k on Monday, especially because it’s a Minnesota Grand Prix race, but I’ll do a 5k instead and won’t do anything to push the foot because I really don’t want to screw up this recovery. Besides, I’m really out of shape - a 10k would take me a week!

Wednesday, Aug 29:

Nice high-energy bike ride, 12 miles, time unknown, probably 50 minutes or so. Hilly enough to make it interesting. I prefer the downhills :-)


Nice light chicken lunch
No-hormone no-antibiotic chicken breasts, organic canned beans & corn, fresh sweet onion, organic sweet potato, organic pluot. Estimated Weight Watcher points = 4.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Don, Congratulations on your comeback. I miss coming out there with St. Croix runners. I have been training for Twin Cities and am running the longer runs on Saturday. Hope to see you soon.

Cyberpenguin said...

Mmmm, this plate looks rather tasty! 8-)

Great blog! You can count me in as one of your subscribers. Look forward to reading more!

Sincerely,
Cyberpenguin
http://seecoreyrun.blogspot.com