Saturday, January 25, 2014

Marathon Pace

I tried running six miles at marathon pace, more or less, running one lap and walking the next, taking 40 triplets (120 paces) for a running lap and 50 triplets for a walking lap (I walk fast).  After 60 minutes I had logged 5.4 miles.  Good enough - at that pace I would finish a marathon in 4:52 or so if I could sustain it for another 20 miles.

That's very unlikely.  I'm thinking that a run/walk ratio of 2/1 or even 3/1 might be a better strategy for the next marathon.  Believe it or not, my longest run since the November marathon in San Antonio has been 6 miles.  I still hope to get in a longer one, maybe 8 to 12 miles, but it's way too late now for a 20-miler and I'm going to have to take it easy in the marathon, shooting for 5.5 or even 6 hours.

No comments: