Sunday, June 30, 2013

Stunning Grass Trails

Wet, muddy, sloppy, and frequently blocked by fallen trees, the trails had not been repaired since the thunderstorms of last weekend and the rainstorms this week.  I spent a lot of time, several minutes, just climbing past the deadfalls and tiptoeing around the sloppy places.  It was worth it though: what a wonderfully cool morning, with a perfect breeze and the low humidity that will improve the trails a little every day if the weather holds.  The old shoes that I use for trails have already been through the wash and will be dry in a few hours.

Two fawns.  Mom must be close by.

5.5 miles in 1:07:44, for a pace of 12:19.  I'm surprised it was that good, considering the obstacles.  I did a 30/20 run/walk where I could.  The right knee with PFS mumbled out a couple of little warnings, but those went away.

I asked at the park office if I could be of help with my lil' ol' chainsaw, but there are liability issues and I have to talk to "Mike" on a weekday.  I could do a lot to open those trails in just a few hours of my time.  I'll call Mike tomorrow.

No comments: