Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Twelve Miles, Tapering

We ran in the Stillwater dome today - I prefer to do long or longish runs there, rather than any of the other indoor tracks, because I can run around the corners in either direction.  I do change direction after each mile.  This run went OK, but not quite as well as hoped.  After about halfway my speed gradually went down, even though it seemed as though I was working just as hard.  I believe that I went into the run somewhat dehydrated, and if so, that would account for the less-than-stellar performance.

Oatmeal beneath, and frozen pineapple
beneath that, thawing out.  Strawberries
were thawed overnight.  Mostly organic.

Nevertheless the overall pace was 10:09, quite a bit faster than I expect to run the upcoming marathon.  I took 5 or 6 ounces of water every two miles, and Clif Shot gels with caffeine at miles 4 & 8.

Whining:  The right hip flexors started to complain after about mile 8, but not too badly.  This happens sometimes, and never prevents me from finishing a marathon.  I wonder if that’s related to hydration as well.  Bottom line: Be plenty well hydrated going into any marathon!

Splits:  9:49, 10:06, 9:48, 9:55, 10:01, 10:13, 10:05, 10:14, 10:09, 10:20, 10:26, 10:40, total 2:01:47, pace 10:09.  It’ll do.

No comments: