Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Adductor Strain

Rats. In the winter I go indoors to run on rectangular tracks. I like them much better than treadmills, but the problem is that indoor tracks have many, many more turns than the outdoor trails that I’ve been using for three fourths of a year. Each turn puts only a very small stress on the adductors, which are used to pull the legs together, but the stress of hundreds of turns can add up to a strained adductor. I know this - it’s happened before - but somehow I forget when I’m having fun.

We ran on oval tracks Saturday and Sunday, hundreds of corners, and Tuesday we ran in square loops in the Stillwater Soccer Dome. At first I thought that my shorts were bunched up on the right side - a sharp, small pain. One lap later, it hurt enough that I realized what was going on. Luckily, I was done with the five miles anyway.

If I try to run on this injury it will soon hurt enough to make me stop, so I’ll have to be satisfied with walking, the elliptical machine, stairs, and upper-body resistance training until the pain is gone. In the past this has taken about two weeks.

There is good news - I did have a very nice 5-mile run otherwise. The pain showed up in the very last lap, but until then I ran the whole way, no walking, no other pains.

Splits: 10:19, 9:54, 9:25, 9:40, 9:39, total 48:57, pace 9:47.

This morning's breakfast. Gluten-free oatmeal cooked with organic raisins and cranberries, frozen organic strawberries and blueberries, kiwi, and organic yogurt:

No comments: