Monday, June 13, 2011

Timed Runs

Monday, June 13, 2011:

Tapering, 3.6 miles on the paved trails in the park. Because of the knee, I used a run/walk ratio of 30 seconds run, 60 walk. The knee still let me know that it was there, but it didn’t get worse.

45 minutes, pace 12:32. The calculated pace for this run/walk ratio is 12:35 - pretty close!

Saturday, June 11, 2011:

Five miles with the St Croix Valley Runners, who meet at Northland Tennis Courts in Stillwater every Saturday at 7:00 am SHARP. Well, not "with," exactly. I started with them but had to do my run/walk thing to keep the right knee happy, so I fell way behind and actually took a different five-mile route because I prefer it to the traditional route.

It worked. In fact the right knee was happy with 30 seconds running and 30 walking, so I soon switched to 60 running and 30 walking. I made a mistake at the finish, running for several minutes downhill because it felt so good, but then when I stopped it hurt to walk - pain toward the outside of the right kneecap. That went away, though, and perhaps no harm was done.

Five miles in about 53:00 minutes (I didn’t click my cranky old watch hard enough to record the actual time), pace 10:36. That compares well with the predicted (calculated) pace of 10:49 for 60 seconds running and 30 walking. It’s a masterpiece!

Organic chicken, roasted organic vegetables:

No comments: