Sunday, September 26, 2010

MMRF Race for Research

Sunday, Sept 26, 2010:

Once a year, the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation (MMRF) holds a fund-raising event at Phalen Park in St Paul, focused on a 5k race/walk. This year the event drew about 1000 people and raised about $150,000. Final figures are not in yet.

The course was a surprise though. Part of the usual course, a bridge, was totally blocked and the detour added about ½ mile to the total distance. We all ran about 3.6 miles. I finished in 29:59, so IF the distance was 3.6 then my pace was 8:20. That’s believable. It would correspond to an actual 5k time of 25:50. I’ll take it.

No pains or problems.

Saturday, Sept 25, 2010:

St Croix Valley Runners, 7:00 am Saturday, as always, at Stillwater’s Northland Tennis Courts. I ran with George, Mary, and Candy, until we spotted a pileated woodpecker attacking a telephone pole, when George and Mary stopped briefly for pictures. Candy and I finished the 5 miles in 44:12, which is under 9-minute miles and a good pace for me. No pains or problems.

Thursday, Sept 23, 2010:

Woodbury runners, who meet at Carver Lake Park at 6:00 pm every Thursday evening. We ran in the warm rain tonight. Rich and I took the short 5.1-mile route, finishing in about 56 minutes I think - I pushed the button in the watch, but apparently it didn’t start. Nice, easy run, no pains or problems.

Tuesday, Sept 21, 2010:

The grass trails in the park are soft now, because we have had a lot of rain lately. But today they were dry enough for running. I did 8 miles, running most of the way but, as usual, walking up most of the hills. Time 1:25:30, pace 10:41. No problems.


Pretty blue mushrooms in our lawn. Don't worry - we aren't going to eat them.

2 comments:

SteveQ said...

Sorry I missed you at MMRF. I was at the 1 mile marker and people were saying things like "that must be 1 mile left, not 1 mile done. We must have done 2 mile by now." If they sent you around Round Lake, that adds a lot.

I see you have Creeping Charlie as well as mushrooms in your lawn - I'm still trying to pull mine.

Don said...

Yep well a bridge was blocked off, so we went pretty far north and around. I think it cost about a half mile.

But I should have spotted you at the 1-mile point - don't know why I didn't. I was looking for you.

I love creeping charlie - requires no mowing :-)