Sunday, September 05, 2010

Great Day of Racing

Saturday, September 4, 2010:

The Buckshot Races in Eau Claire support the Special Olympics. There are two races for adults, a 5-miler first, and then a 2-miler starting 90 minutes after the 2-mile start. A runner can run the doubleheader for a special price, actually only $25, getting both races but only one shirt (one is enough!). I ran the doubleheader, as I’ve done in most prior years.

5-Mile Race:

This was my fourth time running this race, finishing twice before in 37+ minutes, then last year (on cancer meds) in 41:59, and this time in 40:23 (one less cancer med). Better than a minute and a half faster than last year. I’m not back to speed yet, but there is some improvement. I like that!

I finished second of ten in my age group, number 161 of 589 runners overall. Even at my best I was rarely able to finish ahead of Doug, who was several minutes ahead of me here, and no chance now unless I can get my speed back.

What a beautiful morning - about 52 degrees at the start and it didn’t warm up a lot all day. That probably helped improve my time too.

Splits: 7:49, 8:15, 7:57, 16:24 (2 mi), overall pace 8:05 minutes per mile. Sounds good, except unfortunately this very popular race is not certified and may be almost a tenth of a mile short. If it is 4.9 miles, then the pace was 8:14. But that’s still not bad. Using the Running Times Race Equivalent Calculator, that 8:14 pace predicts a 5k time just under 25 minutes, and I’m hoping for that. I need to find a nice, flat, certified 5k race and go for it.

2-Mile Race:

Doug finished the 2-miler ahead of me again, probably always will. I was second of seven in 15:35, 91 of 839 overall, actually the fastest I’ve run this two miles since 2006. I can do better, but I’m happy with this race. Perfect weather, a feel-good race and I feel great.

Splits by my watch: 7:54, 7:44, total 15:38. They say 15:35 - I’ll take it, pace 7:48. Two good runs today.

Thursday, September 2, 2010:

Rich and I started with the Woodbury Runners, then took the 5.1-mile route rather than their normal 6.2-mile route. We ran rather slowly, which was fine with me because I was looking ahead to two races on Saturday, just two days ahead.

5.1 miles in 54 minutes, pace about 10:35 or so - I didn’t record the time exactly. No pains, no problems.


Pancake for breakfast. Gluten-free pancakes are just as scrumptious as "regular" ones. Here's a pancake with fruit:
Pancake for breakfast

1 comment:

peter said...

Nice double duty, Don! I enjoyed reading about your two excellent races. And that meal looks mouthwatering.