Sunday, July 12, 2009

We Didn't Go

Saturday, July 11:

We were all set to go run the Psycho Psummer 50k Trail Run in Kansas City, KS. But I learned a lesson at Grandma’s Marathon and didn’t want to run in temps and humidity that high again. The KC forecast for today was for a high of 90 and dew points in the low 70's. It seemed a poor choice for my first ultra. Furthermore, Sunshine has a bad knee and couldn’t run, and I seem to have a slightly sore hip, so we didn’t go.

Instead, we ran with the St Croix Valley runners Saturday morning, the usual five miles. The route was new, however. We’re looking for an alternative to the old route which travels along a heavily-traveled highway for a mile or so. This time Wayne took us on a nice 5-mile route through neighborhoods, along some trails, and across a lovely long wooden bridge in Stillwater. It’s a bit hilly but I like it, though it might not be plowed in the winter - we’ll see. I dropped behind the group to run a while with another guy who ultimately took a shortcut back to the finish. Then I couldn’t catch up and finished LAST, in 45:32, for a pace of 9:06. Good enough though. I’ll take it.

Friday, July 10:

Sweet Pea and I ran & walked a short distance today, in case we decide to go to Kansas City tomorrow. That’s not looking good - the weather looks seasonal, which is to say UGLY for a 50k trail race. She did 4 k and I did a little over 5k, all on local neighborhood roads, quite early in the morning. I didn’t take a watch and don’t really know how fast I ran. Fast enough.



Breakfast: Gluten-free oatmeal with raisins and cranberries, organic strawberries, blueberries, papaya. organic walnuts, organic nonfat milk.

1 comment:

ShirleyPerly said...

Yes, unless you've trained specifically to deal with the heat I think you made a smart decision. Running is supposed to be fun!