Sunday, July 12, 2009

Another Romp in the Park

We three all went to a park this morning, each running or walking a somewhat different route depending on our current injuries. I ran 6.6 miles in 1:13:00 for a pace of 11:01, though I spent a few extra minutes at the beginning figuring out the route, so the time is not too credible. I felt good the whole time, and probably actually ran about 10:00 or so. Lovely morning, 65 degrees and not too humid, slight breeze, beautiful summer wildflowers. All but about a mile of the run was on hilly grass trails. Nice.

It’s been a long time since I ran with my heart rate monitor, and I wanted to see what it would say. Average heart rate was 126 over the whole 6.6 miles. I charged up a few hills to try to push the HR up as far as it would go, and 142 was the highest reading I ever saw. In contrast, before I started taking the cancer medicines a year and a half ago, my heart rate could easily be pushed up to 150 and even 160.

I think the dexamethasone (DEX) makes it harder to go as fast as I used to go back then, because it has taken away muscle mass, and the pomalidomide keeps the heart from beating as fast as it should even if I do go as fast as before. But the cancer is stable and life is good, considering the alternative. It’s a masterpiece!

Chicken dinner
Dinner last night: Roasted organic chicken (I'm partial to the leg), organic sweet potato with pineapple slices (expertly seasoned by Sunshine), organic nectarine, tasty oatmeal stout.

No comments: