Monday, March 02, 2009

Two More 6-Mile Runs

Sunday, March 1:

Bethel University Indoor Running Track, six miles at about a 9-minute pace. Good enough considering that I ran Saturday too. And the distance is approximate - I ran the outside lane of the track, which is about seven laps per mile. Further, I do think that the rubber track takes away more energy than it gives back. For pure running efficiency I prefer a less-padded surface, like the one at the North St Paul Community Center, or even just an asphalt road. Anyway I’m happy and it’s a masterpiece!

Gary of Charities Challenge sent out an email Sunday morning, taking pity on his friends who might otherwise have to run in sub-zero weather, and inviting us to come run at Bethel. We left the house within ten minutes of opening that email. We all like to run there.

Splits: 9:05, 8:48, 9:01, 9:08, 9:10, total 45:13 for five miles, plus an untimed mile. Pace 9:03 for the timed miles. About.


Saturday, February 28:

I should probably run five miles next time, or seven, just to mix things up. :-) Nine degrees below zero this morning, with loose snow on top of the ice, I ran with my sweeties at the club instead of the Saturday morning St Croix Valley Runners.

Splits: 8:51, 8:41, 8:44, 9:00, 8:56, 8:52, total 53:03, pace 8:51. I ran low on energy and had to push a bit in the last two miles, but some days are like that.

The Brooks Ghost shoes are officially retired now, with 244 miles on them. They were OK but not as good as the discontinued Burns. Also I didn’t size them up another half size as I should have, so they’re a little short. Now I have just two pairs of Burns left, one with 237 miles on them and a "new" (used) pair bought from eBay. That pair looks almost unused, and they’re washed up and ready to be my race shoes, while I finish running 300 training miles (my max) on the pair that now has 237. Then I’ll move into the Brooks Summons as the race shoes and demote that last pair of Burns to training shoes.


Click to enlarge, BACK to return here
Dinner: Roast no-hormone no-antibiotic pork, organic rutabagas, organic sweet potatoes, organic parsnips, organic catsup, organic black pepper, sea salt. Consumed with a delightful oatmeal stout.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Nice to have the option of running inside when it gets so cold. I usually run once a week at one of those puffy, white domes. The astroturf is easy on the legs and the temps are usually in the 40's. Congrats on you 2 nice runs!