Thursday, February 05, 2009

Rochester Athletic Club

My monthly Mayo visit was today and I had several hours between appointments, so I visited the Rochester Athletic Club (RAC) to run on their indoor track. Fifteen dollars for a day pass gets you full access to the facilities with shower, towel, shampoo, and deodorant to boot.

I meant to run six miles. But now as I look at my watch I see times for eight miles on it, with a total time which is correct for eight miles. Dunno how that happened, but I’m sure I ran eight and not six. Huh. Well, if I’m losing my mind, let it go toward MORE miles and not fewer.

The track at RAC makes me more appreciative of the track in the North St Paul Community Center. The RAC track is advertised as "banked," and it is, but not nearly as smoothly banked as the one in NSPCC. It’s also advertised as "cushioned," but I was unable to detect that. It’s wide, though, with four painted lanes, two for walking and two for running. It’s fairly long too, only nine laps per mile, which is nice. Fine for eight miles, but I’m glad that was all I wanted to run today. More than I wanted, in fact. I’ll do my 20-milers in North St Paul. Or, preferably, outdoors.

No troubles running, no pains. Afterward I did have a strange sensation in the right foot, which was the outboard foot on this counter-clockwise trek. For several hours it felt like the foot was waking up from being asleep, sort of cool and tingly at the same time. This could be the start of peripheral neuropathy from the cancer meds, but more likely just a delayed reaction to the oddly-banked running track.

Splits: 8:45, 8:40, 8:49, 8:49, 8:53, 8:47, 8:48, 8:18, total 1:09:48, pace 8:44. I like when there is something left for the last mile.


Salad
Salad yesterday: Organic romaine lettuce, cucumber, organic tomato, avocado, stuffed olives, celery root, organic red wine vinegar.

Dinner of salad
Dinner tonight: Organic romaine lettuce, uncured ham (no hormones, vegetarian feed, etc), stuffed olives, organic cashews, pineapple, cucumber, organic red wine.

No comments: