Tuesday, February 24, 2009

First Mile is Slowest

That’s why we warm up for a short race, of course. A coach may say "the shorter the race, the longer the warmup." I guess our bodies need a warmup to stretch out muscles and get everything moving. I do warm up a mile or so for races of 10k or shorter, and maybe even two miles for a one-mile race. But not for longer races - the first mile or two are the warmup and I don’t want to spend valuable energy on distance that doesn’t count.

We ran indoors at the club again, six miles, and I tried not to look at my watch much until near the end of each mile. I usually reckon a mile by my watch, knowing that a pace of 9 minutes per mile is exactly 40 seconds per lap, with 13.5 laps to a mile. The watch will tell me at the end of each lap whether I am ahead of that pace, behind it, or right on. Today I counted laps on my fingers until I got close to a mile. I wanted to run a pace that just felt good, and pretty much succeeded except for the last mile which I intentionally pushed a bit.

The first mile was indeed the slowest, then the second and third were fast, with succeeding miles slowing a bit, except the final mile. Breathing was easy throughout, four footfalls per full breath, except for the final mile when it increased to three. I had a latte with milk just before this morning run, but no breakfast. That helps a lot - I don’t have as much running energy when my stomach is full of food.

Splits: 8:49, 8:30, 8:26, 8:33, 8:36, 8:05, total 50:48, overall pace 8:30. Nothing hurts. Looks like I've recovered from the marathon ten days ago and maybe even begun to reap the benefits. Nice!


Click to enlarge, BACK to return here
Last night's DEX dinner (low carb): Wild-caught alaskan salmon, dill cheese, organic chard with a few dried cranberries, organic cashews, organic celery with organic peanut butter.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Your meals are gorgeous. They make me want to learn how to cook! :) I love your blog and can't wait to read some more.