Friday, January 30, 2009

Oh My Aching Hips

I’m surprised. After Wednesday’s 16-mile walk/run both hip joints felt like they had been well-used, but nothing more. On Thursday, however, they got progressively more sore. Not the kind of sore that indicates injury, fortunately, only the kind that says the hips were TOO well used. But they sure were SORE! They were at their worst in the middle of last night when I had to get up to pee - I could only totter to the toilet like a little old arthritic man. The hips improved a little by this morning, but were still sore during the day today.

Nevertheless my sweeties and I went to the club to run on the indoor track. I was prepared to stop after one lap, or two paces for that matter, but in fact after the first lap the hips didn’t hurt at all. I suppose the hip pain was caused by the WALKING part of Wednesday’s 16-miler, not the running part. Huh. Today, after the six-mile run, the hip pain (while walking) was about the same as it had been before the run. We’ll see how it is tomorrow. I’m looking forward to an achy night I guess, but maybe not made much worse by today’s run. Bed sounds pretty good right now anyway.

Meantime the run went fine. I started easy and finished with a little flourish. Toward the end I was pretty tired, the toe blister was bothering a little, and the girls seemed done, so I stopped at six instead of the intended eight. But I’ll keep it; it’s a masterpiece!

Splits: 9:02, 8:52, 8:47, 8:49, 8:43, 8:21, total 52:35, overall pace 8:46. Breathing was four footfalls per full breath throughout.


Dinner
Dinner: Organic chicken with organic salted cashews, organic chard, cucumbers, organic red wine vinegar.

1 comment:

peter said...

All runs are a masterpiece. Just some moreso than others.