Sunday, January 18, 2009

I ran a mile race!

But not very fast. Yesterday I was bellyaching about how much I hate to run the mile, and today I found the solution - go slow. We went to Bethel University today to run on their indoor track with the Charities Challenge indoor races. Because of the recent problem with the right adductor muscle, I intended to collect some mileage and not run any races, running the straights and walking the curves, which worked wonderfully well. No pains of any kind. Yay!

But when the organizers called for the second heat of the mile, perhaps ten runners or so, I thought I could use that same procedure in the mile race - run the straights and walk the ends. It worked just fine. The leader lapped me at least twice, maybe three times, but I was doing OK and I stuck to my regimen; no running on the curves. At the end of the eighth lap the clock read 9:41 or so, very slow, but I have none of the coughing and sore throat symptoms that usually result from a one-mile race. First time I've ever enjoyed running the mile race.

At the end of the day I logged eight miles on the track, about half running and half walking. I will count it all as running, though, because I ran the straights much faster than I would have if I were running continuously. It was a day of sprints, or very short intervals, or whatever you might call it. Quads are a little sore, so it was something! I really enjoyed it. Seven days after the adductor injury I seem to be getting past it. I feel tired but otherwise just fine. It’s a masterpiece!


Fruit bowl
Simple fruit bowl: Blueberries, organic strawberries, organic fat-free yogurt, Dove dark chocolate. Might be a banana under there too, but it doesn't look like it. This is a low-calorie, very nutritious treat.

No comments: