Saturday, December 27, 2008

Slip-Sliding Along

This morning the temperature was 30, which meant that the overnight drizzle had frozen here and there to paved surfaces. In some places it was just wet, but in others it was ice. That kind of spotty black ice is hard to see, especially just before dawn. Both Tom and Luke had shoes with studs of some kind, but Paul and I just had regular running shoes.

We’re slower anyway, so we hung back and walked in a few places where it seemed dangerous, finishing long after Tom & Luke. Even so, we each had a close call or two. Though I did get away with it, I might have been smarter to go run indoors somewhere today. Enjoyable to run with Paul, though. Time 48:54, pace 9:47.

Maybe I need a pair of Yak-Trax. Or drive some screws into the sole of the shoes, as Luke had done, so the screw heads can act as studs.


Dinner
Dinner: Organic chicken, roasted organic sweet potatoes, organic nectarine, organic catsup.

3 comments:

Jean said...

I know exactly what you are saying, Don. All of the trails in my neighborhood were very slippery today following all the melting from the mild weekend. I ended up walking in a few places on my run today as well.

Stay safe!

Gregg said...

Don-
purchase the Yak's PRO, if you do, the added strap is worth the $. Yak's work super,give you the added traction on packed snow, light snow on the roads, but offer little to no benefit on complete ICE. For pure ice use something like Get A Grips.
just my experience, but I own them both.
Peace
g

peter said...

Black ice, I stay home. Minus 5, that's cold! I ran a marathon once in OH in Feb. that was zero at the start. When I finished 4:28 later, it had warmed up to 8 degrees. No ice though.