Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas Run

Steve, Dave, and I met at the usual St Croix Valley Runners’ location, the Northland Tennis Courts, and took off into the minus-5 degree weather for the usual five-mile run. According to Dave, in fact, his thermometer said minus-11. Whatever, it was cold. All three of us were dressed for the cold, and no one complained.

I wore a ski mask, and contact lenses because regular glasses fog up and freeze over when the face is covered. Five layers of clothing above the belt, and two below including my pajama bottoms. Plus foam rubber knee protectors. I was a little worried about my feet, where I wore just a single pair of heavy, long Wright Sox inside the Nike Miler shoes. Indeed my feet did get a little cold, and I’m glad it wasn’t a ten-mile run, but my feet were never really at risk.

How come lungs don’t simply freeze solid in this weather, when a runner is breathing so hard? I recall another runner explaining, as we huffed along in a frigid race, that by the time air is inhaled through the mouth, throat, and bronchial tubes, it is warmed almost to body temperature. Hence the lungs are protected. I suppose that has to be the answer. But it doesn’t explain why those other parts (bronchia, etc.) don’t freeze. Perhaps they have an abundant blood supply. Anyway they don’t freeze, so we can run in virtually any temperature if we manage to keep the rest of the body warm.

Today’s time was 45:38, for a pace of 9:08. About two minutes slower than last Saturday, and perhaps 25 degrees colder. Last run of the week, 24 miles completed.


Breakfast
Breakfast after this Christmas morning run: Trader Joe's gluten-free granola, organic walnuts, blueberries, banana, organic nonfat milk, Dove dark chocolate. Not shown: Two eggs pan-fried in a little coconut oil.

3 comments:

peter said...

Nice Christmas run, I'm jealous! Monday night I ran with a group in 26 degree weather that we thought was cold but of course it was a magnificent run (we ran by all the lit Christmas trees we could find in downtown DC) and I wore 3 layers up top and 2 below and was fine. My only problem was the sweat in my headband froze up and I had little icicles dangling below my earlobes and I had to put my knit cap back on (which was too hot), but take away 30 degrees, I dunno. Good run, Don!

ALICIA said...

Hi Don- I got your link because I subscribe to google alerts for multiple myeloma. I do this because I work for the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation as the director of their MMRF Race For Research Marathon and Half Marathon Program. We started last year and raised $300,000 for MM research. I see what a great runner you are. The two of us that run the program are also marathoners and love to help our team members do what they can to run on behalf of a loved one - or in some cases - like yours - run for our own treatment and improved health. You can find out more at www.mmrfmarathon.org, or emal me at alicia@reachmorerunners.com. We'd love to have you (and your daughter?) run with our Race for Research Team! Happy New Year!

Don said...

Hi Alicia,

Thanks for commenting on my blog. Yep I'm a myelomiac marathoner. Going for fifty states - trick is to live that long :-) I'm in a study of pomalidomide right now, and it slows me down, but maybe it's just as well that I'm not so competitive.

Raising money isn't my thing though. I can help in other ways, and I have helped with the MMRF Race for Research 5k in St Paul by certifying the course.

Happy New Year to you. Take care,

Don