Thursday, May 08, 2008

Two Recovery Runs

Thursday, May 8:

Four miles to continue the marathon recovery and to prepare for an upcoming half marathon. Total time 34:54, pace 8:43. It felt like more work than that pace should require, but it was just minutes after finishing a big breakfast and that always takes a toll. Breathing was four footfalls per full breath after the first mile. Slight pain in the left knee toward the end (something new?), but no hip pain.

After the run I visited Dr. L, my wise internist, who thinks that the occasional acute hip pain is caused by the illiotibial band (ITB) where it passes over the right hip. I’m not quite so sure, but of course the pain was not present when I could get in to see him. I’m going to do a little research on ITB problems and then probably make an appointment with Stillwater Medical Group’s Dr. W, who specializes in sports medicine.

Wednesday, May 7:

Nice easy two-mile run to recover from the marathon. I did not time it. No pains worth mentioning, including the right hip. Go figger.



Breakfast
Today's breakfast: Irish oatmeal with organic raisins, blueberries, organic strawberries, banana, mango, walnuts, organic nonfat milk.

Lunch
Today's lunch: "Gourmet" rice (brown rice, wild rice, red rice), parsnips, sweet potato, rutabagas, turnips, organic catsup.

1 comment:

peter said...

You are so good, six miles already in recovery! My total is 1.2 miles so far, once (also untimed). I can feel my added weight already.