Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Feelin' Good Runs

Wednesday, January 9:

Fighting off a cold and wanting to be indoors, I took my two sweeties to the Stillwater Bubble (Recreation Center) this morning. I ran for 90 minutes and didn’t try to count the laps, because I sometimes ran opposite the normal direction, which meant that I had to use a smaller loop to avoid running into people. That was actually sort of freeing - not measuring my pace exactly. I did time one lap toward the end, and the pace was right at 9:00. That means I ran about ten miles, the goal on my training schedule.

The track in the Bubble is make-believe grass, designed for playing soccer I suppose. It’s VERY nice and soft to run on, and presumably to fall on, but I don’t think that it gives back all of the energy that it takes from a runner. A bit like running on grass?

The cold is no worse and no better today. Not that bad, actually. Doin’ chicken soup, vitamin C, and extra sleep, hoping for a quick recovery. I do feel better after the run than before.

Tuesday, January 8:

Catching a cold, I wanted to do today’s run indoors and at a modest pace. North St Paul Community Center indoor track 3 miles in 25:12, pace 8:24. Plenty good enough.

I tried my brand-new pair of Brooks Burn shoes, my 16th pair. They were fine. At the last marathon expo I went to (Grand Rapids), the Brooks representative told me that they would soon discontinue the Burn. Darn - they work well for me. They’re a relatively inexpensive, lightweight cushioned shoe, and apparently that’s all I need - I’ve run all 27 marathons in them. He said that they would be replaced with shoes incorporating newer technology - here’s hoping that the new ones work as well.

As always, I felt better after the run than before.

Three breakfasts - there's a pattern here. Not shown: two eggs pan fried in mostly macadamia oil.

Monday
Monday breakfast: Organic oatmeal, organic fat-free milk, blueberries, Don's nut/berry/fruit mix, pistachios, banana, Dove dark chocolate, naval orange.

Tuesday
Tuesday breakfast: Organic oatmeal, organic fat-free milk, blueberries, banana, Don's nut/fruit/berry mix, clementine, organic walnuts.

Wednesday
Today's breakfast: Organic oatmeal, organic fat-free milk, blueberries, banana, Don's nut/fruit/berry mix, clementine, Dove dark chocolate.

No comments: