Friday, December 07, 2007

Ten Miles

In two days. Humph.

Thursday, December 6:

Perhaps I’m becoming accustomed to the dreadmill - it didn’t seem quite so onerous today. Time passed and then the four miles were gone, with a bit of a flourish at the end. North St Paul Community Center, time 35:38, pace 8:55, with the last two-tenths mile at 10 mph = 6 min/mi. I have some concern about staying on the track at that pace, so I hung on with both hands. I wonder if that makes the running easier or harder? Next time I’ll try one hand. It’s probably just a matter of getting used to the pace. Anyway that’s 20 miles on the week. Since I’ve run three days in a row I won’t be running Friday.

Still no activity indicating that the new track surface is to be installed. I wonder when that will begin. I have this pessimistic feeling that it could be months rather than weeks. Too bad they chose to close the track in the winter instead of the summer.

Wednesday, December 5:

Woodbury Runners, on snow-packed trails, 10 degrees out but no wind to speak of. When it gets this cold I have trouble keeping my face warm and keeping my glasses clear at the same time; if I cover enough of my face, then the glasses fog over. Today was right on the edge - eventually my face warmed and I was able to remove enough face cover to see properly too. A few degrees colder and I’ll have to wear contacts.

Anyway 5.8 miles in about 51 minutes (not exact - I apparently didn’t press the STOP button on the watch properly with mitts on). Pace 8:47, plenty good enough for these trails. They were plowed, but had been packed down before the plow arrived, so there wasn’t much bare pavement. Ran with Pete and Jack, both nice enough to slow to my pace. I did feel strong the whole way, much stronger than I expected to feel. Good run!


Breakfast
Organic oatmeal, organic lowfat milk, banana, blueberries, organic walnuts, chocolate nibs (chopped cocoa beans).

Salad
Organic salad greens, blue cheese, dragon fruit, pitted olives, avocado, raspberry vinegar.

Dinner
Dinner: Free-range no-hormone bison, organic parsnips, organic squash, organic sweet potato, organic carrots, organic rutabaga, onion.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Grinding out miles on a treadmill in the winter is tough to do, but keep on pushing through!! My Ipod really helps me get through the miles.

home health supplies