Monday, November 12, 2007

Love That Gateway

Sunday, Nov 11:

My sweeties and I went out to the Gateway Trail Sunday, along with a lot of other folks! Cool with a crosswind, the running was perfect, as was the people-watching. I wanted to take it a little easy for the 14-mile run, having run hard Saturday, but I got going and felt good and what the heck. I’m surprised by the 7:37 last mile, but did enjoy running it. I think that particular mile is slightly downhill - I always do well there.

Took water at miles 4.3 and 9.7, each time with a gel. Breathing was four footfalls per full breath almost the whole way. Time 2:00:04, average pace 8:35. I did stop my watch three times for a couple of minutes each while taking water (from the car) or greeting my sweeties as we passed each other. Is that cheating? Splits: 8:27, 8:30, 8:32, 9:05, 8:42, 8:51, 9:05, 8:42, 8:26, 8:34, 8:38, 8:00, 8:55, 7:37.

When we run Gateway, we often park our cars in different places and run toward (or past) each other and each others’ cars, leaving water in the trunks for each other. That’s nicer than lugging a water carrier and worked well Sunday.

Saturday, Nov 10:

Another excellent run with the St Croix Valley Runners, 5 miles in 40:05, for a pace of 8:01. Hey I’m happy with that. Speed is coming back. I ran with Tom this time, following Dave & Art, and followed by Roy, Candy, Gauss, George, & Dave. Did I miss anyone?

Today's breakfast
Today's breakfast: Organic oatmeal, organic nonfat milk, banana, blueberries, blackberries, Don's "gronch" with miscellaneous dried fruits, berries, and nuts, Dove dark chocolate.

Sunday lunch
Sunday's lunch: Sunshine's chicken soup with an organic chicken and lots of other good stuff, two kinds of gluten-free crackers. I had two bowls :-)

Recent Supper
Recent supper: Pot roast with free-range bison, organic carrots, onions, plus sweet potatoes and pineapple.

1 comment:

peter said...

You are fast! How did you pull down a 7:37 mile after 13? Way to go. I just finished three 14-mile runs in the last week (I live at MP 7 of my trail, get it?) and it was interesting reading your account. The pictures of your meals look good enough to eat! I love wild-caught salmon, it is so much more flavorful that farm-raised (I eat a lot of fish).