Thursday, October 18, 2007

Providian Bank and Questionable Bill Collection Tactics

Once in a while this blog deviates from the subject of running.

In the past week or so we have received several calls from a company called Elite Recovery Services, a bill collection agency. They claim to be authorized to collect a bad debt owed by someone with the same name as mine, on behalf of Providian Bank, a VISA credit card company. Providian Bank's web site says that they are now known as Washington Mutual Card Services. Apparently Providian Bank was bought by Washington Mutual bank (WAMU) headquartered in Seattle. Whatever.

Providian Bank has the right to collect its debts, but the problem is that their agent, Elite Recovery Services, does not seem to operate in an ethical and legal manner. In fact I can't be certain they actually do represent Providian Bank, because they rarely tell the truth. I have never had a card from Providian, nor have I ever stiffed a creditor, but these people don't accept that answer. Here are a few of the things they have done that I believe may be illegal or unethical:

  • They have called repeatedly, which may be harassment under the law;
  • I have asked them to send the federally-required "validation notice," and they actually refused to do so ("you ain't gettin' no letter!");
  • On three occasions I have asked them for their mailing address so that I could send them my request for validation, and they refused to give me their address!;
  • On one occasion they told me that they had sent me many letters, and even recited my own address back to me, but I have never received any mailings, so that was a lie and perhaps a "deceptive practice" under federal law;
  • Today they called with a recorded message, which I believe is against Minnesota law.
This has actually happened to me before; my name is fairly common. I get the feeling that these scumbags look up several people with the same name as the debtor and harass them all, hoping that one will be the correct one. It's not a problem for the long term, but it's certainly an irritation right now. They have a job to do, but they don't have to be unethical.

I'm sending letters to Elite Recovery Services, Providian Bank, and Washington Mutual at the addresses I have found on the internet. We'll see what happens.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I had the same experience. What can I do for relief?

Don said...

Find a lawyer who specializes in "consumer law" and sue them.