Monday, April 16, 2018

Running Again

Another run at the local high school indoor track.  We have been running there all winter, not using either of the YMCA tracks that are 15 miles away, since this one is just a mile.  I like the air in here, and I like everything else about it, including the atmosphere, students and teachers mixing with us ordinary citizens.  Best of all, it’s free with Silver Sneakers.

I caught a nasty cold about six weeks ago and didn’t run much for several weeks, but we’ve gone to this track almost very day this month and I’m coming back from that time off.  Today I went three miles, running three laps of the first mile, all of the second mile, and three laps of the third.  The middle mile took 9:25 and I was speeding up in the last laps, so I could have gone faster.  Best finish since the USATF race on March 4.  I might be getting back to the running strength that I had before that last cold.

The goal remains the National Senior Games in Albuquerque, in 2019.  My preference is to run the 200m dash, but I was injured doing that, and the injured right hamstring tendon just doesn’t seem to heal.  Now I have another appointment with the sports doctor, after 9 months, to find out if there is any remedy available besides physical therapy, which just hasn’t worked.

Springtime in Minnesota
The Ides of April Blizzard
In the meantime, or if there is no remedy, I can still run the mile.  It’s only about 2/3 as fast (8 times as far) and because of that it doesn’t seem to re-injure me.  I run at least a mile every other day, mostly walking on the alternate days, and that doesn’t hurt.   I don’t actually LIKE the 1-mile race - it seems very intense.  But it’s over in 9 minutes, hopefully less.  I can qualify for the Senior Games 1500 meter distance if I can run a mile in 8:20, and I came pretty close at the USATF race.

When we are able to run outdoors, I will increase the distance on some days.  In fact there is a popular 10k next weekend, no better way to train than to race.  If the streets are open.

Splits: 13:16, 9:25, 12:53, total 35:33 plus a couple of extra laps that I didn’t time.

No comments: