Sunday, June 04, 2017

One Mile On a Hot Track

Saturday, May 27, 2017:

I had planned to run 2 miles, but the weather was too warm and I was overheated after the one mile, so I stopped.  After cooling a bit, I ran a 100-meter dash as fast as I could a couple of times, then went home.

2:27, 2:29, 2:29, 2:26, total for 1600m: 9:51, adjusted for a mile: 9:54.

Thursday, May 25:

1.41 miles on the Jr Hi track, about 4.5 more miles getting there and back.  I ran in Lane 8, the outermost lane, to avoid messing up the track team, who were training on the inner lanes.  This is the farthest I've run without walking in several years.  I tried a few crouching starts before going home.

Track times: 5:34 (2 laps), 2:46, 2:35, 2:33, total for 5 laps 13:28, distance 1.40 mi, pace 9:36.

Wednesday, May 17:
 
1.5 Miles running with no walking.  Wet weather today, thunder and lightning. We three don't run in lightning, so we drove to the YMCA and ran on their indoor track.
 
Last week (or was it the week before) I ran a mile and a quarter without walking, so today it was time to bump up the distance.  The track is 13 laps per mile, so I decided to warm up for 15 minutes and then run 20 laps without walking, about a mile and a half.  Toward the end I was tired and definitely counting down the remaining laps, but I think I could have done a few more, maybe even another six to make it 2 miles.  Probably not 3 miles yet though.  Maybe in a week or two.
 
When the "long" run was finished I did a half dozen or so crouching starts, as I might do for a 100-meter or 200-meter race.  There is a USATF outdoor track competition in a few weeks - maybe I'll have some fun.
 
Next week 2 miles I hope.

Watch readings: 13:21 (first 13 laps?), 3:44 (walking), 10:55 (13 laps), 5:43 (7 laps).  Either the track is less than 13 laps per mile, or I was running slower than I have been running recently.  Could be - I'm on steroids today.  No matter - it's still good training.

No comments: