Monday, April 24, 2017

A Bunch of Runs

Wednesday, April 19, 2017:

Still running 6 minutes out of every 10.  Tough run today for some reason, 5.2 miles in 1:02:30.

Monday, April 17:

Pretty good, running 6 minutes of every 10, somewhat hilly..  5.3 miles in 59:58.

Saturday, April 15:

3/4 Mile no walking   On the 400 M track, and a total of 5.2 miles in 1:00:00.  Not bad.

Wednesday, Apr 12

Finally a great run   After several difficult ones.  Same route today as last Sunday, but such a different result.  I'm running 6 minutes of each 10-minute interval these days, for a total of 60 minutes.  Today's route includes a pretty stiff hill in the first 6-minute running segments.  Three days ago that hill was agony, but today I just chugged up there without much trouble.

The rest of the run went just as well.  In fact one of the 6-minute running segments was shortened to 5 by a phone call, so I added a minute on the end, making the last segment 7 minutes instead of 6, and uphill to boot.  It was hard work, but not really a problem.  My very first 7-minute running segment.

One or two more good runs with 6-minute running segments and I'll be ready to run 7 minutes of every 10 for the whole hour. Therapist Katie wants me to get to running 3 miles with no walking.  Heading that way.

5.3 miles in 1:00:18, pace 11:23.

Sunday, April 9:

Difficult again.  5.3 miles in 1:01:00.

Friday, April 7:

Hard work.  Running 6 minutes of every 10 now, it's taking more energy.  Today I ran/walked to the 400-meter track (about 2.1 miles), then a mile on the track, and another 2.1 back home.  I maintained the 6-minute runs throughout, except for one interval which was entirely uphill.  I shortened that interval to 5 minutes.

Splits: 26:01, 2:24 (pace 9:33), 2:26 (pace 9:47), 30:38, total 1:01:29, distance 5.2 miles, overall pace 11:50.  Includes three stops at stoplights.

Wednesday, April 5:

Difficult run

Saturday, April 1:

Six minutes of running   And four of walking, six times in a row.  Getting  closer to running continuously - last week I was doing five and five.  No injuries so far.  This was an out-and-back on a lovely new, paved, rails-to-trails bike and pedestrian trail, with some running friends literally leading the way.

I tried to turn around at exactly the right time to finish at exactly 56 minutes, skipping the last walk portion.  However, the trip out was slightly uphill and the trip back exactly that much downhill, so I arrived at 54:47, about a minute and a quarter early, and the last running interval was that much short.

So what.  I fuss about that picayune sort of stuff, but it won't matter in the long run.  Next week I'll run the same 6/4 run/walk ratio and include some significant hills.  After that 7/3, then 8/2 and 9/1, and finally no walking at all.  Barring injuries, this should happen in April.  Katie wants me to stretch it out to 3 miles, which is about 30 minutes at the pace that I've been running,

From there I suppose I'll increase the distance by 10% per week.  Maybe a bit more per week, since I've been doing an hour of walk/run for months now.  I'll ask Katie.

Thursday, March 30:

Another 5 miles   Five different neighborhoods, so connected to each other that there were no traffic lights.  The worst hill on this route is just five minutes from our home, so after the first 10 minutes I've done the worst of the route and the rest seems easier.

Running 5 minutes of each 10 today.

5.3 miles in 1:01:50, pace 11:40.

Monday, March 27:

400 meter track & back   Lovely run, hilly some of the way, but with a  very nice outdoor track at the far end of the route.  Today I ran to the track, then ran a mile (four laps) on the track, and home again, running 5 minutes of each 10.

As usual, the first 5 minutes of running were the hardest, but after that it was easier.  On the track I timed two running laps, doing a pace of 10.1 min/mi for one, and 9:35 for the second.

25:18, 2:30, 2:23, 29:44, total 59:55, 5.07 miles, pace 11:49.

No comments: