Monday, October 31, 2016

It Could Be Chilly in Philly

Sunday, Oct 30, 2016:

My next (and 100th) marathon will be there, so I'm doing some cool-weather training.  Well, actually, I don't have a lot of choice, it's already chilly in Minnesota.  43 degrees and cloudy all day long today, just as predicted.  Little or no wind.  Just a matter of dressing properly for it.

Unfortunately I didn't dress properly.  I know how to, but experimented, wearing a heavy half-zip shirt from a running club under a light wind jacket from a recent marathon.  That might have been enough, but neither garment met expectations.  The shirt was polyester, but apparently not the "technical" sort, as it got pretty soggy.  Further, the light wind jacket had no vent in back, so the soggy shirt just got soggier.

I knew this, but didn't think it would matter as much as it did.  The insulation of the upper garments was insufficient, and my upper body felt cooler than I would have liked.  I wasn't cold, really, not shivering, but cool enough that I eventually decided to shorten my 12.9-mile route to 12.1.

As I write this, a day later, it turns out that I should have shortened the route sooner, because the cold that was just beginning to invade my head and throat yesterday is in full force today.

127 miles for the month of October.

Saturday, Oct 20:

SCV Runners, 4 miles in about 60 minutes.  Five of us.  Nice chat with Jim.  No problems.

Friday, Oct 29L

Delightful.  4.1 miles in 57:53.  I love this weather!

No comments: