Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Human Race 8k

Sunday, March 20, 2011:

The Human Race 8K Race has a long Minnesota tradition, and is one of the 13 races in the Minnesota Grand Prix circuit of races. The weather can be an issue in March, and for this year’s race we were treated to a drizzly 41 degrees. A genuinely bleak day, except for the indomitable spirits of the runners. Over 500 hardy souls showed up for the 8k this year.

My race wasn’t great, coming off a tough marathon 8 days prior, and also fighting a cold (those are my excuses and I’m sticking with ‘em). I might not have hammered as hard as I could, although I thought I was doing my best. I know that I walked less in this race than in some previous Human Races. Time 44:07, pace 8:53, 7th of 9 in my 70-74 age group.

It's so wonderful that there are eight other old farts in that age group, just wish they weren’t faster than me! One runner, Thom Weddle, finished in 34:37, pace 6:58, which is a good pace in any age group and world class at age 70+. Go Colonel Weddle!

No pains during the race, but the left hip hurt a little afterward and the quads still smarted a bit from the hilly marathon.

Splits: 9:09, 17:23 (2 mi), 9:35, 8:00, 44:07 total. I LOVE that last, downhill mile, always do best there.

Thursday, March 17:

We ran for thirty minutes on paved trails in the park, a recovery run, first since the marathon. Only a little pain in the left hip, nothing else. It’s good.


Oatmeal (upper right), miscellaneous frozen and fresh organic berries and fruits, with kefir.
Breakfast

4 comments:

peter said...

A sub-9 5M race and you were out of the running in your age group? I ain't moving to MN! Keep on truckin' Don!

peter said...

Thanks Don. Coming from you, I'm takin' those comments to the bank!

SteveQ said...

Weddle's amazing, isn't he?

It's a shame this race is only a shadow of its former self. 30 years ago, I finished about 50th of 5000+ and ran 25:29. Guess I was born decades too early.

Don said...

Indeed, the size has diminished every year, and the bleak weather last Sunday didn't help at all.