Thursday, April 09, 2009

Wonderful Run

Thursday, April 9:

Oboy, today was to be a semi-long run, working toward marathon distances again, and it worked out very well. Fourteen miles on my favorite rocky dirt road along the railroad tracks. Out and back four miles one way, then out and back three miles the other way. I love that quiet, solitary trail, even though (partly because) it gives my ankles a workout and takes a bit more effort than does pavement. Temperature was 52, with a slight crosswind - does running get any better than that? I saw a deer, an eagle, mallards, and plenty of Canada geese. A buddy to run with would have been good too.

The overall pace was 9:40, good enough to qualify for Boston if I could run another 12 miles without slowing. Maybe someday, but not today. Recently I’ve been running for pure pleasure, walking whenever I felt like it. This time, though, I decided to walk for 90 seconds after each mile. And it worked perfectly - I did not do any other walking. I did take water every two miles and gels at miles 4 and 8. No pains. !!!

Splits: 18:20 (2 mi), 9:02, 9:38, 10:55, 9:04, 20:09 (2 mi), 8:59, 9:09, 10:11, 10:00, 9:35, 10:13, total 2:15:14, pace 9:40. Very good. I’m a happy runner.

Tuesday, April 7:

Local roads, four miles. I wanted to do eight, but life intervened and there was time for only four. In fact I started out on a five-mile course, and then cut it to four in mid-run. No problems, no pains, I walked a little but not a lot. Overall pace was 9:02, so I must have been running faster than I thought when not walking.

Splits: 18:04 (2 mi), 18:02 (2 mi), total 36:06, pace 9:02. Way better than not getting a run in at all.


Click to enlarge, BACK to return here
Dinner Salad: Organic chard with sweetened dried cranberries, parmesan cheese, cucumber, avocado, organic plum or nectarine - not sure which and it's gone now!

1 comment:

Beth said...

So glad you are running well and with no pain. You are still keeping a great pace with the walk breaks. They must be working for you!