Saturday, February 02, 2008

Five Sweet Miles

Yay! Today's five-mile run at the North St Paul Community Center was pain-free! The naughty Achilles tendon seemed a little stiff in the first third of a mile, but smoothed out for the rest of the run. Even walking downstairs, the acid test, it was entirely pain free. This time I was successful in holding the pace down to nine minutes per mile, actually 44:51 overall for an average pace of 8:58. Close enough. And I resisted the urge to ramp it up for the last mile.

Adam left good suggestions on the previous post: (1) No stretching of the Achilles, and (2) Maybe take a whole week off. He may prove to be right; thank you Adam. I'm sure that THREE weeks off would cure the Achilles - that's what it has taken me in the past to heal a serious tendon injury. It might take less than three weeks for a younger person but, alas, I am at that age where every new day is a gift, and there is no going back. Healing takes longer. I still do calf (Achilles) stretches, but very gently and never to the point of pain; I doubt those stretches do much damage and I hope they will help it to heal correctly. And I have stopped using the Strassburg Sock night splint, which pulls on the Achilles gently enough, but all night long. I used ice and heat (5 minutes, ten minutes, three cycles) after Thursday's iffy five-mile run; that may have helped. I'll do that again today.

Thursday I expected to be able to run five miles pain-free and couldn't. Today I was determined to stop at the FIRST sign of pain, and was pretty sure that I would have to do that, but I didn't. Bottom line: I sure don't know what's going on!

Nevertheless I think I'll go back to running every other day, ramping up slowly. The runs will be on a track, at NSPCC or the Stillwater Bubble, so that I can easily quit at the very first sign of pain. If all goes well, five miles (again) on Monday, then six or seven Wednesday and hopefully more on Friday. Fingers crossed.


Post-run breakfast
Today's post-run breakfast: Organic gluten-free pancake, organic blueberries, kiwi, organic medjool dates, Don's nut/fruit/berry mix, organic maple syrup. This was both breakfast AND lunch.

Bison dinner

Last night's dinner: Free-range bison roast, organic sweet potato, organic salsa, organic gluten-free pasta with cheese and a little kale, onions roasted with the bison. Seconds on everything, thank you.

4 comments:

Adam said...

Hey Don,
Great news on the run. The run today was great, we'll see you out there in the future. Your food photos are rubbing off on me, I've retooled my breakfast meuslix. Check out the link next time you visit. I also bought some dates to top it off, boy are they good!

After doing some web surfing I think a gluten free diet might be a good idea for me. I'll give it a shot, the new breakfast mix is a start.

AH

Adam said...

Don,
Do you happen to know the sugar mixture in dates...such as glucose versus fructose percentages? I searched and wasn't able to find it. Thanks.

Don said...

Adam -

I think that it may vary by the variety of date. Here is a web page that seems to have a lot of information.

I also found another page" which suggests a glycemic index of 103 for dates!

Bottom line: I don't know :-)

Don

Adam said...

Don,
Date update: I took about 300 calories worth of dates on a 20-miler this week and snacked on them throughout the run...they were perfect! Another running friend told me that the Greek ultrarunners live on dates during races. Looks like I've got a new staple during races because they're so easy to carry and eat on the run.

My post today has a picture of my soybean salad...my food photography needs a bit of work but it will improve;)